Fly Fishing Forum banner

Weekend reports, please!

1K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Quentin 
#1 ·
A series of cascading events prevented me from getting out on the water as originally planned this weekend, so let's hear from all of you. Tell us how you did either here or in the appropriate forums.

Thanks for letting me live through you for a short while. :)

#2 ·
Did not do any fishing this weekend. Slimer season opened and I avoid the river when the slimers are running.

I did stop by one of the launches on the Skagit to watch the show. I was not disapointed. In the 45 minutes or so I was there I seen no less then 4 guys forget to unstrap their boats before try to launch them. One guy not only forgot to unstrap his boat but forgot to put the plug in also. I seen 2 guys hit a log straight out from the launch. 1 guy that forgot to lock his outboard in the down position and almost pop it off when he gunned it in reverse. Then the same guy put the motor in forward, guns it again and buries the bottom end in about a foot of mud. Took him 5 minutes or more to get it unstuck. But, the best one was the guy who had too small a rig for the boat he was towing. He was having a heck of a time trying to pull his boat up the ramp because he couldn't get over the concrete lip where the ramp ended. He finally guns the heck out his small truck and hits the concrete lip so hard the trailer bonces about a foot into the air. Well, he didn't have his boat straped down and it bounces clear off the trailer onto the middle of the ramp. The next 10 or so minutes was a comedy of errors while several people tried to lift the boat back onto the trailer.

I love humpy season on the Skagit.

#4 ·
Hilarious story about the guy bouncing his boat onto the launch. That must have been something to see :hehe:

I made it down to Chatham on Saturday to fish SB. Conditions were tough. High clouds and wind chop made visibility difficult. Did see a 40" cow flash about 5 feet in front of me though. One ill placed cast was enough to end that opportunity.

Still fun to walk the beach and see the crew.

#5 ·
I was mostly building a patio for my in-law this weekend.
Luckily, the patio is on Lake Champlain, so in the PM I took my canoe out.
Not too productive, but I picked up a fat (~3lb) smallmouth on a clouser minnow. The fish was hanging right next to the mooring slab for a 30' sailboat. I was drifting, so while fighting the fish I got pretty close to this boat. It was pretty difficult to fight the fish, paddle the canoe so as not to ding the sailboat, and not tip over or lose a rod or paddle all at the same time. But I managed. Good fun.

tight lines.

#6 ·
Yuck, I wish I was with Kerry, far more fun..

than being on the upper Rogue. Thousands of summer steelhead through the counter at Gold Rae dam (about 5 miles north of Medford, OR) and they all appear to have lock jaw. If any one hooked a fish it was by accident. Never seen it like this before .. and now they're screwing with the water flows again which will make it even more 'interesting.'

Thinking about "Dupont Spinners."
:mad:

#7 ·
Lower Klamath is starting to come alive - not yet red hot - quite a few fish but as with Fred - many seem to have lock jaw - lots of salmon and the salmon guys are out in force. But lots of steelheaders on the water for this early in the year and I am seeing alot more using 2-handed rods than ever before - used to be just a few of us using the long sticks!!

#8 ·
Fish the Bow on Friday & Sat. Friday was a blast! winds all day long, it was like fishing in a huricane, managed several nive Rainbows and one large 23 inch brown. Saturday was better but very busy on the river.
Fishing is over until I get to the Cape on Thursday PM. Can't wait!

#9 ·
I got chased off the water by thunderstorms on both days. Fishing was slow on Saturday anyway so it was no big deal, but on Sunday I just started to get into some fast action with largemouths when the storm brewed up.

Great story Kerry! Where's the video camera when ya need it :chuckle: . Reminds me of the antics we see when the bonito and false albacore show up :rolleyes:

Q

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.