Juvie Sailfish [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Juvie Sailfish

Quentin
08-16-2003, 09:45 AM
I was doing a web search and came across a photo of a juvenile sailfish. Looks just like an adult but it's only a few inches long. I thought it was pretty cool, as I've often wondered what the juvies look like. I guess I always thought they wouldn't develop the long bill and dorsal fins until they got bigger. Here's the URL if you want to check it out:

http://www.thejump.net/id/juvenile-sailfish.htm

Q

Chris
08-18-2003, 04:15 PM
That's cool Q. I was in the Museum of Natural History at the Smithsonian Saturday and there is Black Marlin display with a Juvie in a case. It was about 10" long and looked just like an adult. I also was surprised at how cool this little giant looked and how like an adult.

neac9
08-19-2003, 01:48 AM
years ago I was about 7 or 8 we had a beach house at (Im a poor speller so bear with me) matuneck beach .
One day while walking along the rocks we saw splashing and went to investigate only to fined a 11" bill fish (think it was a sail but hard to remember that far back. but makes one wonder why we never hook one. I mean think of all the hours we log as a group im sure they eat.how is it we have never gotten one .

Quentin
08-19-2003, 08:18 PM
That would be awesome to catch a tiny one when you're just out casting for whatever is around. Hook into something and then see a miniature billfish leaping around on the end of your line. :chuckle:

Q