Playing Hooky Tomorrow [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Playing Hooky Tomorrow

Quentin
08-13-2003, 08:47 PM
I got the day off from work tomorrow so I could take a ride down to the eastern CT coast to fish (wish?) for bonito. I haven't heard any reports of tiny tunas in that area, but I'm hoping tomorrow will be the day. It was just over a year ago that I fished the same area and had several sightings and a brief hookup, so it certainly could happen. If not, I'll be happy just to see the ocean again and try for some stripers or blues.

See ya on the beach!

Q

Striper
08-13-2003, 10:50 PM
Quentin,
I would try Harkness or Pleasure Beach area, Harkness first though. There have been alot of fish on the reef lately feeding on top during the day and I would not be surprised if they were in close by Harkness as well. So far not even a blip on the tuna radar but I have my eyes open and always looking. I will be in the area with the wife tomorrow going to try and get her into a big bass.

Tightlines,
Mike M.

Smcdermott
08-13-2003, 10:55 PM
What is the migratory path of the funny fish? I assumed that they would show in South County first and not CT since they would be coming around the corner from Montauk or offshore. Isn't that why the Vineyard and Nantucket see the fish first.

Sean

Dble Haul
08-14-2003, 10:49 AM
Quentin, for what are very obvious reasons,

I EXPECT A FULL REPORT! :D

Thanks in advance. ;)

Quentin
08-15-2003, 02:25 PM
Well, I didn't really expect to see any bonito, much less actually catch one. The stripers and blues weren't cooperating much either. I started at Harkness just before sunrise. It was near dead low with plenty of water flowing out of the pond, but there was no surface activity whatsoever. There was plenty of small bait around but I didn't see any sign of predators except for the terns. I also checked Pleasure Beach and Ocean Beach with similar results, so I decided to try Niantic and at least catch some shad. It took a while for me to finally hook up so I decided to take my time bringing the fish in. While I was livelin . . ., er, I mean, landing the fish I saw a couple big stripers come up for a closer look. One was 40" easily, perhaps even 45", and the other was at least 30". I knew I didn't have much of a chance to hook one, but I hoped that the big one would grab the fish and run for a few seconds so I could at least feel the power. I played around with them for a couple minutes before the shad finally dropped the hook, but they just chased it around and "nosed" it a few times without ever hitting. I caught another shad a few minutes later and tried again but didn't see any stripers that time.

That was it for excitement for the day. It was awesome to get a good look at that monster striper. Too bad it decided not to play. Maybe next time . . .

Q

Dble Haul
08-15-2003, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the report. It's helpful for formulating my game plans.......:)

Striper
08-15-2003, 05:04 PM
Had that happen while catching shad for bait about a week ago or so. 40lb. bass comes up and slams the shad I have hooked on the 9 wt. very cool to watch, I had no intentions of trying to land a huge bass on a shad with the flyrod just wanted to feed the hungry bass. Went out today in the Western Sound looking for the Bonito I had heard about and yes they were there. I caught one bonito on a popper about 4-5 lbs. first of the year and hopefully not the last. There weren't many fish but they were in evidence and showed sporadically during the morning. We got into some nice feeding bass in very skinny water <1 ft. of water early. Then we had smallblues at the end of the day, so I ended up with an early season slam. Not bad for a spur of the moment trip.

Tightlines,
Mike M.

Quentin
08-15-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Striper
. . . Went out today in the Western Sound looking for the Bonito I had heard about and yes they were there. I caught one bonito on a popper about 4-5 lbs. first of the year and hopefully not the last. . . .

Awesome! I'm still trying for my first ever :hehe:

Do you know if they are close enough to shore for a shorebound flycaster to have a chance at one? I'm not asking for specific locations (unless you want to divulge that info :devil: ). Just wondering if it's a "boat only" deal.

Q

Striper
08-15-2003, 08:11 PM
Quentin,
Without blowing the trust you would need a boat or drive a long way around to get at these fish;) . Southwestern part of the sound close to where the ferry comes and goes. Thats the best hint I can give you as I am not the one who found them and I am not a liberty to blab. You should be able to figure it out though with those hints. Not many fish to be honest but there were some where we were. Tons of small baby bunker being slaughtered by all manner of predator.

Tightlines,
Mike M.

Quentin
08-16-2003, 10:12 AM
Thanks Mike. Just wondered if it was even worth trying. Guess I'll wait until the boneclave.

Keep those reports coming. They help give me the incentive to drive long hours and deprive myself of sleep!

Q