Steelhead fly line [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Steelhead fly line

Pnwflyfisher
08-12-2003, 06:14 PM
I am in need of another Steelhead fly line and I am not sure what kind I want to get. I tried Scientific Anglers and it didn't last very long. any suggestions?:confused:

fredaevans
08-12-2003, 06:48 PM
so a few questions back.

One or two handed rod?

Line weight?

Type of fishing you expect to be doing? Need/want a tri tip line?

Rod length?

fae

flytyer
08-12-2003, 08:16 PM
RIO has a very nice Salmon/Steelhead single-hand line that would fit the bill for what you are looking for.

Pnwflyfisher
08-13-2003, 10:05 AM
Thanks, I was looking at those. They seem to be priced right And from the description I get in the catalogs it looks like it would fit my needs. I want a good long cast with a heavy fly without ending up with windknots. I tie my own and lately I have been doing alot of experiementing with speys.

Pnwflyfisher
08-13-2003, 10:09 AM
Oh and Fred, I use and 8 weight for Steelhead, 9 and a half foot long. and yes I wish I had a spey ! I would love to get my hands on a good 15 footer ! . I have been tying alot of spey flies lately and there great for Steelhead. I have some really cool patterns I have come up with (that actually work!):)

fredaevans
08-13-2003, 01:16 PM
Don't use a one hander all that often anymore (a couple of notable exceptions to that on the Rogue) but when I did swing my 9-10 foot single handers I loved the Tenney (sp?) "T" sinking tip series of lines. Have the entire set, and one (usually the 200 grain) is the line my single hander will be rigged with for fishing.

We've got a few runs that are close to the beach your fishing off and deeper than heck, even in the summer flows. It's get down now, or forget it time to get to the fish holding on the bottom of these runs. Too close in for effective spey casting, but just the ticket for a 10' single hander with a fast sinking tip.
fae

Pnwflyfisher
08-13-2003, 01:59 PM
Oh wow thanks I didn't even think of the Teeny lines. they sound pretty good. I know he is a big time steelheader so it's definitely a serious consideration. thanks!