tibor reels [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: tibor reels

sean
08-12-2003, 12:59 PM
Thinking about getting the everglades model for a meiser 7/8 switch rod for beach fishing and possibly double duty for striper fishing when I get out there next year. Might be a stretch for striper fishing but figure I can load it up with some power pro to fit the 9wt striper lines on.

My only worry is ease of changing the spools. Have heard mixed reports. For beach fishing I regularly change between a couple lines ( when I am not fishing with Leland ). Also for striper fishing I hear you guys change intermediate lines out for fast sinking lines quite often as well. How much of a pain in the arse is it?

Also looking at the harris, bauer mackenzie Z or xtreme, and ross BG 5 if anyone has any comments on those as well or another reels I should take a look at.

Thanks,

-sean

Smcdermott
08-12-2003, 01:14 PM
Sean,

I have a Tibor Riptide and do not own a spare spool for it. I also own an Abel Super 11 so I just carry two reels rather than changing spools. Both reels us a draw bar design which places the drag knob on the frame but requires a small locking nut. Only requires a penny to remove but can very easily be dropped in the sand, rocks etc... I have heard of a spare spool kit for the tibor, but never seen one in action, that is supposed to make things easier. Both reels are built like tanks though and in my opinion worth every penny. I am not very good about cleaning after every trip etc... so that makes a difference.

Sean

BigDave
08-12-2003, 02:50 PM
Sean I always have 2 lines on me for fishing around here and change spools frequently, esp in the fall for beachfront missions.

I can get a bit clumsy and mostly wade, so I avoid purchasing things that can be dropped in the sand and put an early end to a day on the water.

I use lamson velocities and just tested out the new open back this weekend which is a sweet reel. Totally sealed drag and the the drag knob is on the back of the reel where you can reach it without getting your knuckles busted. Can't buy a better drag no matter how much you spend.

My .02

Nick
08-12-2003, 03:25 PM
My FFF BG5 is Rocking. Maintenance free and smooth as silk. The spool change mech is really slick two. Twist and Lock. I highly recommend.

Nick

2HandTheSalt
08-12-2003, 03:48 PM
Check line capacities first. I can't imagine any spey line fitting on the Everglades with room for backing. I think you want at least a Riptide, but even better a Gulfstream.

Even if you are only fishing heads, I would go with at least the Riptide.

I loop my lines and change out lines instead of spools.

striblue
08-12-2003, 04:57 PM
Sean, as you probably already know, all those reels, the Tibor, Abel, Islander, Pates, etc require a srew to be removed to change reels.. I only use one line , the deep sinking for the Ocean and the intermediate for the flats...I sometimes will use the deep sink for the flats with a longer leader... If I think I will hit both areas I will do as SeanM does and bring an extra full reel.

sean
08-12-2003, 05:19 PM
Thanks all for the comments so far. Thinking even though the tibors are real purty they might not make sense for me. I am the king of losing small objects when I go fishing and do not want to chance losing pieces of my reel when I am out fishing. Maybe I will get one for my bigger spey rods where constant line changes are not necessary.

Just checked out the new open back lamson velocities. Sweeet reels for the price. Since I have another mouth to feed it may be the way to go.

I already have a ross BG 7 and really like it so a 5/6 is still in the running.

Now it is between the bauer mackenzie Z, Ross BG 5/6 , and the velocity.

All in all not a bad decision to have to make :cool:.

Sparky do you guys carry the new velocities at kaufmans? If so which one holds a 7-8-9 windcutter the best? Am thinking the 4.

-sean

NrthFrk16
08-12-2003, 09:23 PM
Sean-
Hopefully I do not throw a wrench into your current thoughts but another reel to take a serious look at is the Loop Evotec LW 8-12. IMHO, this is the most verstaile reel on the market as it has enough capacity to carry most Spey lines plus run a standard #9 or #10 overhand line if you are going to Striper or Flats fish AND it also light enough to throw on a #8 single handed rod.

The spool change requires nothing to be unscrewed or taken apart and it a sealed drag...just something to think about.

btw-We have not brought in the new OB Velocities yet...it should be anytime as we have had the new olive colored Litespeeds for a while. In the case of the Velocity, you would want the 4 without a doubt (for the WC 7/8/9) but if you are considering putting the reel through serious saltwater use be aware that you may run into problems with the o-ring which will inturn unseal the drag and lead to corrosion...it has happened to me twice on my Litespeed 3.5.

Plus, another reel to consider that is more durable and IMHO, more reliable and more saltwater condusive then the Lamson Velocity is the Ross Gunnison 5. I know that may seem like an odd choice but with the Gunnison being discountinued, you can find them very cheap, they will take years of saltwater use, they are a one piece spool (unlike the two piece spool of the Veloicty) plus they feature a ball bearing etc. etc. They will hold a 7/8/9 WC and will hold a #9 Saltwater Taper with plenty of backing!