Fly Fishing Forum banner

Have any of you Western guys seen this?

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Pnwflyfisher 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Chances are if you live in the NW you live in the shadows of a volcano.

Hell, I live in the shadows of 2 of the damn things. 1 changed the course of my favorite steelhead river from running into the Stillaguamish River to running into the Skagit River. I'm not complaining here. Saves me a lot of drive time to get to the steelhead.

Have any of you heard of the triple threat to the Puget Sound? It involves a large earthquake (which the Puget Sound is know for in the past). The earthquake causes a large tsunami that slams into the already demolished cities around the sound and then it triggers the eruption of Mt. Rainer which sends down it's huge lahars. Some scientists claim this is a recipe for the largest natural disaster known to man. God, I love the Northwest.

#4 ·
Think that's bad?

For a REAL disaster story, check out the Yellowstone Caldera. Based on past history, that baby should let go sometime between RIGHT NOW and the next 200,000 years. When it does, that probably is the end of the human race. That's the "end of the world" scenario.
No asteroids, no comets, just a little ol' caldera blowing its top, as it has been doing repeatedly, and to an approximate schedule.:rolleyes:

And there's NOTHING we can do about it!

BobK:smokin:

#5 ·
Well, just say it this way

I know ALL too well about these things. I was in 4th grade I do believe, my Dad had vacation, and we were gonna go on a weeklong trip hitting some trout and steelhead (when you could readily catch them year around) on the Toutle. We had pretty much packed when my Dad got a call from work. Since he was one of the lead operators on the machine, he was called in emergencies. He was being forced to run a machine after one of the other operators where injured. That was the week of May 18th, 1980. The spot we were fishing was anialated. Back then, they thought the mountain was gonna blow more towards the east, and had locked off most of Riffe Lake area/upper Cowlitz. If it wasn't for my Dad's "misfortune" of losing his vacation, chances are we wouldn't be here. Where we planned to fish was WELL away from the mountain, but still was wiped out. Worse of all, we floated it in our old pram. Would've been one wild ride while it lasted. In fact, we had fished it earlier in March on vacation.

Now, Mt Rainier. Have lived with it in view all my life. Grew up in the Puyallup Valley, and had a picture perfect view of it from my childhood home in Fife. Have relatives who live in it's shadow up in Orting and Eatonville. We have all known that there will be a time it could go. We just don't dwell on it. When it happens, it happens. It's part of life and nature.

#6 ·
ST, I see you also just missed the fun on

on Mt. St. Helen's. But for a splitting migrain I'd have been in the lower canyon ... another story for another time.

Found it interesting that the writer didn't bring up Mt. Baker to the north of Rainier. I was under the impression it was the far more 'active' of the two.

fae

#8 ·
I live right between Mt St. Helens and Mt. Adams and stare right Mt. Hood ! I love it ! Another threat is the big crack out in the ocean just off the coast. they Say if there was a good size earth quake there it would flood the whole valley wiping out Portland !:whoa: Can you image what the Columbia would do ! I am about a block from the river on the Washington side. just gotta go with it. It's worth it living out here !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.