Autumn Conditions at Last [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Autumn Conditions at Last

juro
08-10-2003, 10:35 AM
Well it seems as if the dog days could be over, 50 degree nights and 70 degree days with lots of precipitation in the forecast. I'm sure the blackberries are getting big and sweet and the salmon are running in the straits, noaa forecasts snow in the upper elevations of the Olympics this week. Although levels won't recover until September rains, I hope the river temps and thus oxygenation and fish health rebound as the month progresses.

Although it's primarily hatchery fish that are the game in the region I hope any remaining wild summer fish are getting the break they need to get them through to spawn.

I hate to see summer go each year but man, do I love the arrival of autumn!

NrthFrk16
08-10-2003, 08:37 PM
Hey now Juro...it is only early August. We still have another month of summer to go. :tsk_tsk:

I never ever rush the seasons along...the older I get (eventhough Im only 22) the less I enjoy realizing another season is behind me!

juro
08-10-2003, 10:05 PM
Sparky, you're right there's still 44 days to go according to the almanac. There won't be any frost on the pumpkin just yet but I'll bet you'll be wearing fleece when you pull the starter on the kicker boat next weekend, as will I!

My recollection of 48 seasons in the beautiful PNW is that there's always a little summer in autumn and a little autumn in winter, then things blend nicely from winter run to summer run and back again. Nothing's rushed, there's time to enjoy each over many pleasant days on the river and best of all the fishing's year-round. Seasons drop like curtains around the northeast in comparison!

It won't be until the bigleaf and vine maples, alders, birches and cottonwoods turn the riverside banks ablaze that real autumn will have come, but with nights in the 50's and king salmon coming up the rivers, pink sedge shucks on the stones at dawn and healthier conditions for summer runs in the streams I believe the summer is lightening it's grip a little.

Sorry to imply that your summer is ending. I meant that the downright threatening conditions for summer runs in the region might be done with over the next few weeks, I sure hope so!

MJC
08-10-2003, 11:32 PM
Hey Juro, I thought I knew what you meant but it did sound like you were ready to start looking for your ski wax.:hehe: I'm pretty sure we are going to have about 2 more months of summer here in the banana belt of Idaho. I was in my shop weighing a spey line at 2:30 am this morning and I still had the air on. It was pretty comfortable and I was only half dressed. I'm gonna be wading wet for a spell yet and there sure won't be any fleece for me. It's so Hot here I should be posting this guy's pic.
:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:
Take care, MJC

speybum
08-10-2003, 11:46 PM
I can hardly wait for just few more rain dorps to fall.
Been working like a slave to get every thing done for that brief time between summer and Indiana Summer.
When those Steelie’s turn trouty.
I take a few days and fire up the Pride of OPEC and head for those old haunts where the big one’s lie.

Come on rain just a few more drops.
:smokin:

kjackson
08-11-2003, 01:07 PM
Enjoy the fall weather-- it was brought to you by me heading for Louisiana for a week. If I stayed home, it would still be hot, and the fish would not be thinking about moving in. As it is now, they'll be storming the beaches around Port Townsend while I'm chasing reds and tuna in the marshes and Gulf.

I will miss the coho clave-- planned on running out for a day trip at least, but that obviously isn't in the cards. I hope the Sekiu fishing is still good when I get back or that the silvers have moved into the kelp here and will stay around a couple of weeks. I really hope it's the latter as I'm only five minutes from a couple of boat launches...

Have fun; I know I will.

Keith

juro
08-11-2003, 07:53 PM
Keith -

I was looking forward to meeting you, I'm sure we'll catch up next time when the timing is less "seat of the pants".

BTW - it rained over an inch in parts of the Sol Duc valley today according to NOAA. I hope this is providing some improved conditions for those OP summer runs who have assuredly been suffering in the recent conditions!

kjackson
08-11-2003, 08:21 PM
It would have been nice to put names and faces together-- it's so hard just looking at the mugshots they have in the post office.

However, I seem to recall you mentioning that you would be at the fly show in Denver. If so, we could hook up at some point as I'll be there for FTR.

Also, I e-mailed you about CND, and although it's past deadline now, we can do something for the next issue, which, coincidentally is the fly show issue.

Enjoy visiting the Strait again... I will be thinking about your trip.

In a Northwest note, I'm throwing some upsized Miyawaki beach poppers at reds if they're in a surface mood-- or even if they're not.

Have fun guys,

Keith

sinktip
08-12-2003, 12:12 AM
I was on the OP today camping with the family in a tent. I can vouch for the rain. Rain as in biblical terms for most of the morning.

Alas I get back to Pugetropolis and everything is as dry as when I left it. :(