Swift river. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Swift river.

John Desjardins
08-06-2003, 01:42 PM
I managed to fish this am on the Swift, below Quabbin. Some fish were present at the heads & tails of pools with very few stragglers in between. Most appeared to be eating something ~ 1' below the surface, which I couldn't figure out what it was. One gentleman I spoke with was doing well on a small sulphur. I however ended the day skunked.

BigDave
08-07-2003, 08:36 AM
Glad to hear there are some fish up there. This has been a dismal year for the swift between the poaching, otters and extended period of low water.

John were the fish there in numbers as they have been in years past?

The fish may have been in their typical micro-midge larvae phase. Like Yong's bloodworm in a 26. Works well as a dropper under an ant.

Was the water up?

Thanks,

Dave

John Desjardins
08-07-2003, 08:15 PM
Dave I'd estimate the number of fish in the stretch from Rt 9 to the Y pool as ~ 20-25% of previous years. Below Rt 9 it was lower than that . :mad:

You may be right about the Yongs nymph. I was thinking of a scud pattern also. For the record a maribou Micky finn got the most looks when swum by fish. No hits though.

The water was down, I was wet wading and never got the waist wet despite several crossings. The previous few days the water had been high according to a regular

BigDave
08-08-2003, 08:12 AM
Thanks, John.

Too bad about that place this year. Hopefully it will rebound in the fall. I always find the fish to eat better when the water's up.

If the Rip Trip fails, I'm going to venture out to the Deerfield this weekend. Been trying to go for weeks but the flows won't cooperate.

Dave