Fly Fishing Forum banner

White Salter Flies

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  jcc_00 
#1 ·
I have a number of white saltwater patterns that have developed a hint of rust around the very front of the fly nose by the stainless steel hook eye. Probably just enough moisture was left to cause a problem around the eye of the hook when it was used in saltwater and dried late that day or the next. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried a drop of bleach to remove the brown rust stain and if so, was that a successful treatment?

#2 ·
Some Success

Well, slight rust on white, salt water flies wasn't the burning question that I thought it might be late one night apparently, but here are the results of the investigation anyway. At the eye of the hook I seem to get, over time, an annoying rust ring where the fly is likely damp for an extended period of time after use, even though the flies I use in the salt are rinsed under warm water at the end of the day. I tried bleaching the area and the bleach seemed to have little or no effect on the rust even with some slight abrasion from a stiff bristled plastic brush.
I asked a chemist at work what he would try and he suggested the unlikely candidate of Lemon juice. At first it didn't seem to work, but with a little of the brush bristle action applied to it, the rust seemed to give way considerably. I would be interested in other folks trying the same technique and confirming or contesting this test. The Lemon juice was full strength right out of a store bought container.

One enlightened forum member suggested by e-mail that I tie wire bite tippets to the flies and use them for Bluefish - not a bad solution after all is said and done, but maybe we have an alternative.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.