Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bigger, noisier poppers?

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Leland Miyawaki 
#1 ·
Question on poppers for those who use them-- rigged as Leland does on his Miyawaki Beach Popper with the point forward-- it seems like the fly doesn't make a lot of commotion. That undoubtedly is a good thing when the water is flat calm and the fish are shallow.

Has anyone tried the standard tie of cupped face forward or a significantly larger head for windy/choppy conditions?

I don't want to re-invent the wheel if I don't need to do so, but these questions were on my mind while using a popper in choppy/windy conditions and not getting any hits. I kept thinking that perhaps a little more authority on the noise side might call fish, much like a popper does bass.

Undoubtedly, I will try same this week, but if there is insight that says it's a good idea, not a good idea, I'd like to hear it.

Thanks,

Keith

#2 ·
Crease fly baby!!! If that ain't enough for you, try a small Bob's banger. That one will probably bring in seals from 60 yards out...

You would be surprised however how "visible" a slider like Leland's is, even in choppy water. Keeping it in site might be on the hard side, but the fish know it's there...

#3 ·
Keith,

I've thought that a crippled fish leaves only a small wake with occassional little skips and hops, which is how I sometimes retrieve my popper. I experimented with the slider reversed (normal) but found that I caught just as many fish and, most importantly, it made casting a lot easier. Aesthetically, to me, it also looks more like a fish with the pointed end forward.

To Philster's point, I have also found that even in windswept waters, my small #6 poppers leave enough "nervous water" in it's wake for me to see. If you lose sight of your popper, give it a big, healthy pop to identifiy itself for you.

Leland.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.