Chatham, 8/2 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Chatham, 8/2

FredA
08-02-2003, 09:31 AM
Checked the board at 1:30am and the 2:00am crew had wimped out. Decided to get another hours sleep and woke up 2.5 hours later. Talked to Leon - had a few laughs at stiblues expense. Made my way out in the fog. First time here this year and even in the fog the changes at the north end of south beach are amazing. Pretty much devoid of life forms other than a lot of other frustrated fishermen. Screw it - bayside tomorrow. I need a tug, even if from just a schoolie.

striblue
08-02-2003, 11:08 AM
Fred..you are right about the Light house. except if you make the walk down beyond the outer breakers where the ocean meets the actual beach... fish can be had on the outgoing.... The outerbars nearer to the Light house ,In My opinion, prohibit fish from wanting to stay in close.

FredA
08-02-2003, 12:56 PM
John,
Walking down the beach in the fog all seemed familiar until I got to that first channel and all of a sudden this big sand spit curls out. It was a "Toto, I don't think were in Kansas" moment.
Talked to a guy coming in who'd been there since about 3:00, infact he tried to get in touch with you about the sorti last night. Said all he had was one bump and there was a lot of weed. I continued down past that spit and the water was pretty weeded up to about 40 or 50 feet from shore so I turned around and worked what seemed to be a hole or two around the spit. With the fog I didn't really get a good look at things but I agree that there just doesn't look like there is much in terms of channels to get the fish in close at the bottom half of the tide.

striblue
08-02-2003, 01:37 PM
Fred... The clean holes are all the way down across from the Rip Ryder drop off...No weeds on the out going... lots of weeds on the incomming... all fish have been caught on the outgoing...I am going to start another thread on a second option At Nauset.... Less walking, park in the parking area and walk only 1/2 mile to the Gorrilla Hole. Fish Tony S. Style...DARK time.

bcasey
08-03-2003, 12:36 PM
John, How you gonna rig those eels on a flyrod?:hehe:

striblue
08-03-2003, 12:43 PM
Ahhhh...well... I slip them on bait hooks with these little barbs and then..I... wait... I have no idea what your talking about!:hehe: