Fly Fishing Forum banner

Chatham -all Nighter on the beach

3K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  striblue 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone intrested is doing an all nighter on the ocean side of South beach?????????Beach Fishing... forget the tides... start at about 9 to dawn?..... I am not picking a dated but am ready for tomorrow.... Hawkeye? Penguin? Jimmy? Juro?.. where are you?{ Local guys starting at 2 am coming in telling me that big fish are coming into the surf... These are commercial beach guys...yes they exist and are releasing 34 inchers... not big enough for these guys who are spin and bait fishing.... I meet some of them coming off the beach going home when I get there at 5 am.... I have to take a lot of frendly guff from them but have known then for years and they are credidible and friends )

#6 ·
John,
By all means bring the flyrod with you, but please bring along a good spin/conv. rod and some eels. After you get spooled several times from the REAL fish you will want to go to the big boy tackle and land one of those monsters that prowl the wash at vampire time:eyecrazy: :devil: ! Seriously bring along some eels and big sticks just in case my friend. I have really changed my view of these fish since last week. Was out yesterday with a good friend who has had a run of bad fishing luck lately, took him to the reef where I have been fishing and he got the biggest fish of his life. Later in the morning with the sun high in the sky he went ahead and beat his morning fish with an even bigger fish 44" 33 lbs. These fish were marginally landable on the flyrod from the boat, if we had hooked them from the surf it would have been sayonara baby. Incredible power and strength. I have a friend whos brother lives on the Cape and fishes commercially from the Nauset Beaches, he gets alot of very big fish every year tossing eels from the sand at night. GOOD LUCK!!! Let me know how you guy's make out I would love to hear you really banged em' good!!!

Tightlines,
Mike Mayo

#8 ·
Dan...keep an eye on the Board and we will hook up definitly this week.... Mike... Big fish are easier to land in the surf than from a boat..just my opinion...less water for them to move in...but I have to say my biggest fish on a 9 weight fly rod was a 44 incher taken in the rips a couple years ago at the point at the Chatham light....It weighed only 29 1/2 pounds..There have been bigger ones taken on a fly rod...But you make sense to bring a spinning rod...I need to travel light though...but I think a light weight spinner would be smart.

#10 ·
Not this week-end but I have this on my to-do list sometime this season. I had planned on an all nighter under the June full moon but it didn't materialize - heavy overcast and way too much action during the daytime :D

#11 ·
No traffic and very VERY...

DARK!!!

...Night of the Trogladytes (with sillysticks)!:eek:

I used to do some of my best work at O'darkthirty...
Sleep deprivation 'soundz interesting...
Count me in...

#13 ·
Grego... nice to hear from the "old Crowd".... I figured this might drag you out... Pete..I will call you tonight...for sure...JBasser just called... what about tomorrow night.... Saturday... start at about 1 or 2... walk the mile or so passed the sand bars.... and leave when we want....Park at the Light House.....Bring clear protective lenses,most important... cast by feel... enough of this Day stuff... we need to see if we can get some big fish... My only concern right now is the weather... I don't care about rain...but I don't like lightning, hunkering down in the dunes with my fly rod far away from me..... Bring cards and a compact hytech blanket... no sleeping bags.... I love it!!!!!!!!

#15 · (Edited)
Sensory deprivation...

Ever since this thread started I've been wearing a blind fold to hone my blackout skills and totally acclimatize my rods 'n cones...
Knot tying is getting better...doing the bathroom thing needs some work...and driving on rt.28 to buy fresh batteries was a real challenge (gridlock miniature golf traffic)!
I've picked out the stealthy ninja outfit and a BIGGG rod/reel combo to deal with truly annoyed large stripes...
Bring on the night!!!:eek:

ps
I've already been hit by lightning TWICE!! (flying in large gov't all metal airplanes)...'been there before, don't want to go back!
Let's try to make it a thunderstorm free experience...pleeeeze!:whoa:

#18 ·
Available for an early Sunday morning sortie...

Due to phamily plans I'm offcape Saturday (2Aug) but back to the PharSide (of the canal) in the evening...0200 Sun (3Aug)?!
Soonerorlater!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.