Fly Fishing Forum banner

Midnight Smallies

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  fishheadfred 
#1 ·
We had a decent amount of rain during the week and at 6:00 pm Friday we decided we better go check out the river level/clarity to see if it was going to be worth getting up early Saturday. Somehow our fly rods ended up in the back of the truck and when we seen how surprisingly nice the water was we decided we might as well fish a little bit.

When it was completely dark we really started catching some decent fish. We left the house without much of the plan and only had a box of wooly buggers with us and we figured out that the fish we hovering near the surface. So we began stripping our wooly buggers as fast as we could to keep them riding higher in the water.

We woke early Saturday morning for another day of Smallies and ended up with 13 Smallmouth by the end of the afternoon between the two of us. We did notice the majority of the fish we caught that day had fist sized bellies on them where is seems they were feeding throughout the night and probably were not feeding much during Saturday. With the water temp rising and the level dropping they might begin their aggressive nocturnal feeding and seek shelter from the heat during the day. So we will test that theory in the coming weeks by testing them during the night to see how aggressive they seem.

Pics are below

See less See more
#7 ·
Yea we have been fortunate this year to be having the Smallmouth season of a lifetime! We have been averaging 2 or 3 Smallies over 14 inches every time out, the biggest one 17". It's been a great year so far, but now I'm on the hunt for a 20 incher. It's in that stream somewhere :devil:

#8 ·
hey buckeye,

nobody likes a show off,,,,,BUT if you've done it, i guess it ain't braggin', huh?! Nice fish!!! been using a lot of poppers and dahlbergs in the twilight of the evening....same success, just not as pretty as yours and Pop's!!! Ankle is getting better, you better watch out, I'll be back out there soon enough!!!:devil:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.