Well Albie it ain't but it is a fish of a lifetime [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Well Albie it ain't but it is a fish of a lifetime

Striper
07-24-2003, 09:45 PM
http://www.fishcontest.com/Mike/fish2.JPG

The fish weighed 54.4 lbs. 51.5" and 29" girth, caught on a half eaten hickory shad that I was reeling in to rebait after bluefish mauling, fish hit this right on top like a schoolie on a popper........Go figure when you least expect it. I tried desperately to revive this fish to no avail it came in after a long fight almost belly up and it was hooked right inside the mouth with a circle, I am torn between elation and sadness, it is headed to the taxidermist for a deserving skin mount that I will cherish forever. This fish has my everlasting respect and admiration for the battle it fought. Minimum 125 yds. on the first run on a Calcutta 700 with the drag ultimately as tight as it would go it still took line at will, I can't express to you the shear power involved in this fish, definitely in a whole different class from the fish I have caught previously. If I had hooked this one on the fly I would never had layed eyes on it.

Tightlines,
Mike Mayo

Slinger
07-24-2003, 11:44 PM
Great pic and a great fish. Couldn`t have happened to a harder working and more deserving fisherman. Remember it`s only 10% luck.
Slinger

Striper
07-24-2003, 11:50 PM
Slinger,
You got it 50% right, the deserving part. I am still unemployed at the moment so the hard working part I am not real sure about...........But thanks just the same much appreciated for sure. And if I told you the whole uncondensed version I think you might change the luck idea as it was very strange the way this fish was hooked and landed. Very legit mind you but in no means stereotypical striper behavior.

Tightlines,
Mike Mayo

juro
07-25-2003, 03:26 AM
Mike,

I agree, I can't think of a more deserving fisherman! I agree with slinger in that your 'work ethic' on the water is superb and I hope you land the big one on the street as well as on the sea soon.

Although it's noble that you wanted to release her, she is well past her spawning years and you're doing less to affect the population by retaining this trophy than in keeping a 20 pounder.

It's behavior has also taught us a thing or two about how smart a big fish can get over 15-20 years... let the blue cripple the shad and eat the easy leftovers!

Awesome fish and photo!

FishHawk
07-25-2003, 04:57 AM
Great fish!! You deserve it for all your hard work. Get your Captian's license Mike your better than some of the so called guides out there.

FishHawk
:smokin: :D

Tod D
07-25-2003, 05:24 AM
Wow! Beautiful fish & terrific story!

Mike - FWIW, I seem to recall that skin mounts aren't the best as the oils in the skin cause the fish to degrade over time...? Can anyone chime in?

doogue
07-25-2003, 06:19 AM
Hot damn Mike.

Looks like the bigger "Striper" in that photo is the fish!

That is a monster.

Adrian
07-25-2003, 06:28 AM
Mike

Congratulations on a great fish!

striblue
07-25-2003, 06:42 AM
Mike... WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! It will makar a great Mount... and a keepsake for a life time.... Great Picture too. All I can say is congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!

Smcdermott
07-25-2003, 06:43 AM
Mike,

That is an awesome fish. You truely deserve it. I second the motion on getting your captains license if that is something you would want to do. I know I learned a bunch during our time on the water.

Sean

Eddie
07-25-2003, 07:31 AM
Incredible optical illusion. That fish looks really big. You're only three and a half feet tall...right? Nice catch.

BigDave
07-25-2003, 07:47 AM
Mike,

That is a PIG :eyecrazy:

Congratulations man!

Dave

Dble Haul
07-25-2003, 07:55 AM
Ditto what the others have said....time on the water leads to opportunities, and we all know that you spend your share of time on the water.

Great job!

CSJ60
07-25-2003, 07:57 AM
Outstanding fish Mike!!!

Craig

Nick
07-25-2003, 08:02 AM
Awesome fish! Congrats!:eyecrazy:

DFix
07-25-2003, 08:08 AM
Congrats, Mike. Remember, remorse is relative. You both gave it your best in every way.

Go after your OUPV; have another 'occupation' to sustain you. Good Luck.

steelheadmike
07-25-2003, 08:38 AM
Mike........ congratulations! You work hard and spend more time on the water in a month than alot of us get to in 6 months. You deserve a trophy like that one. Keep it up and if you see a Maritime following you............. Its not me.. well maybe.... ( you recognize me in my Fake galsses and nose ):devil:

craig
07-25-2003, 08:49 AM
Awesome .........Awesome....... AAAAAAAAwwweeesssoooommmeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jimS
07-25-2003, 08:51 AM
that is a truly spectacular specimen and well deserved. I can't think of an encore experience, but believe you are already thinking about one. Congratulations!

Simms

seuss
07-25-2003, 10:08 AM
yeeesh...

someday.

Congrats!

GregD
07-25-2003, 09:15 PM
Hey Mike, Great Fish! Congratulations on the huge line sider and a successful fight on the fish of a lifetime.

Tight lines,
Greg.

JimW
07-29-2003, 10:01 AM
That things got a bigger belly than I do. What a beauty.

boarmountain
07-30-2003, 07:13 AM
Mike,
WOW! Nice Fish!I have been a full time taxidermist for over 20 years and I can tell you TOD D is RIGHT! It may take 6 months or maybe 6 years , but oil will seep through the paint job ruining the mount. I would not waste your money on a skin mount.I would recomend taking it to someone who will mold YOUR fish , not buy one out of a catalog.
Mike B

CSJ60
07-30-2003, 08:27 AM
Another option is have a wood sculpture made. Will cost a little more but will look great.

Striper
07-30-2003, 10:59 AM
Boarmountain,
I would like to speak to you about doing my fish if you are interested. I know nothing about getting a fish done and would welcome advice insight and quote. Please email me and we can contact each other for the specifics offline. striper@optonline.net

Tightlines,
Mike Mayo