Rip Trip- August 9 -10 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Rip Trip- August 9 -10

07-24-2003, 12:06 PM
Lets schedule the trip Saturday, August 9... a great tide... and a back up for Sunday ,August 10... Please sign up here.

07-24-2003, 12:09 PM
Sign me up for the Aug. 9 Rip Trip if possible. Thanks!
Dave Williams

07-24-2003, 12:41 PM
Count me in.

07-24-2003, 01:25 PM
Nope. Just beginning vacation elsewhere.

07-24-2003, 01:35 PM
I can do that.

07-24-2003, 01:56 PM
Count me in for that weekend.

07-24-2003, 03:00 PM
It was the better tide anyway, per earlier discussions. I am most likely on my west-coast business trip that weekend, so won't be able to test the surf rod (fly of course) in the grande' ripcurrents of the tip. If I don't end up bringing it to test ocean coho on the Olympic Peninsula's north coast, then I'd like to leave it with the rip trippers to test on my behalf.

If my current plans change, I would definitely like to attend!

07-24-2003, 03:13 PM
I am in for that weekend.

Juro, I would love to try the two hander if you leave it. I am definitely warming to the idea of the extra length in the surf.


07-24-2003, 03:40 PM

I know the new prototypes will not be ready in time for this rip trip, mandrel designs take time even for magicians like Nobuo. But I want to start collecting feedback as early as possible so I'll be planning test fishing excursions thru the season and everyone's invited. I currently only have the surfcaster prototype, but the new prototypes will include an all'rounder as well.

I have to say that I am very pleasantly surprised with the results with the surfcaster. I love spey rods and spey casting with a passion but it's not the solution to the problem of taming the surf. This rod however really does address that and the concept has been more than a reality.

It's not too long, yet affords the push vs. pull advantage in it's current length and power. It's no wimpy buggy whipper, this rod is made to deal with serious conditions and serious fish.

I can see a fine day on Napatree this October with this rod in hand... or fishing from the beach at Weekapaug's east side without a mouthful of salt water.

I have seen awesome days on South Beach already and although I don't want the season to move any faster I can't wait for the fall migration. Nauset and bunker blitzes await.

Big girl's ebb currents when the big sand eels come into the humps call to the all'rounder model. I've been hitting great fish on the flats with the surf caster but the sweeter little sister will be the cat's meow for sight fishing.

It's gonna be fun to explore the possibilities!

07-24-2003, 08:56 PM
It's the last weekend of the family vacation. If I get enough "Yes Dears" in before then I should be OK.

07-24-2003, 09:14 PM
OK..This is good... we have 8 already... with number 7-Juro and 8- Jimmy... not definite... But we are in business.....

07-25-2003, 06:17 AM
Count me in if you have a slot.

07-25-2003, 07:07 AM
Doogue... you are in at #9

07-25-2003, 07:15 AM
Our last Group picture... It was a while ago:

07-25-2003, 07:39 AM
Just to be clear (clearer) I can only partake if my current plans to be in the PNW change for some reason.

07-25-2003, 08:57 AM
Yes..I got that... you are on the Bubble..if we get 10 definites.... If you don't make the PN trip and we already have 10 definites ,then you would be next on a all the participants...If for some reason ,physical ailments or the like, and you feel you could not make am 8 + mile walk in the event it happens...DON'T SIGN UP! Keith will not call the Coast Guard to get you... he said he would wait until you got there to the pick up no matter how long it takes...even crawling...Obviosly that does not include real emergencies...

07-29-2003, 10:57 AM
Bump to the top... still room

08-04-2003, 06:47 AM
Bump again... still room....I may not make it..will know soon

08-04-2003, 11:30 AM
Bump again... keith says we are still on... and we go if not T-storms and low wind...fog is not an issue nor is overcast.

08-05-2003, 07:55 AM
I'm in if you still have room

08-05-2003, 09:05 AM
Sorry guys I am out. Looks like I will be at work late Friday night.

08-06-2003, 12:46 PM
Not looking great right now. NOAA is calling for 3-5ft on Saturday and 3-6ft on Sunday.


08-06-2003, 04:51 PM
Sean... I agree... except... beleive it or not the sun was out most of the afternoon here... and we should wait till the last minute...because you never know... The beaches are packed here in Chatham and the wind is just less than Moderate... but the fishing on South Beach for the last three days has been dismal that's why I have no reports.

08-07-2003, 12:21 PM
Looks like I can make it saturday. Can't wait to get out on a rip trip. Didn't see what time we are headed out anywhere though.
What time will we meet at Rip Ryder?