Where To Fish In Fairbanks? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Where To Fish In Fairbanks?

sjs
07-23-2003, 05:52 PM
I'm going to Fairbanks, Alaska in a few weeks and bringing my fly rod. I have read a ton of stuff on fishing in southern Alaska, and higher up in the Arctic Circle for char, but haven't heard or read much about Fairbanks.

Can someone give me some info on where to go, what to use in the way of leaders, flies and techniques, and any other info concerning the greater Fairbanks area? I get the impression salmon of some kind will be upstream that far but probably will be worn out and not biting, so I am assuming it will be rainbow, char and greyling that are available. I will be there from August 29 thru Sept. 10.

sean
07-23-2003, 06:16 PM
Will mainly be a grayling show but that aint a bad thing. I grew up there as a kid and remember many a fond day catching tons of grayling on the chena river. It was the best place in the world to grow up and I am planning a trip next summer.

Check out this article for a little info:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/travel/alaska/

Bring a 3wt and have a blast!

There are also a lot of gravel pits and lakes with big pike but it has been so long I do not remember the sepcifics but maybe someone on the board will.

-sean

Penguin
07-23-2003, 06:31 PM
After my airplane fire, while waiting for parts/repairs and going through some physical therapy, I ran across some nice folks in town...members of the Midnight Sun Flycasters!
All the rivers were frozen solid so they had meetings to tide them over until the "midnight sun" part of the deal came into play.
Then it was fisheatfishfishsleepfishetc.
WAY up-river in GODS country where a casual walk along a stream can turn into a sprint for your life to keep from becoming part of the food chain!

Do a little web search...'still time to make plans!

sjs
07-24-2003, 09:07 AM
Thanks guys. Really enjoyed that article Sean. I wasn't planning on bringing a lightweight rod but I see I have research to do.