Experiment- Silli Skin Clouser Eel [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Experiment- Silli Skin Clouser Eel

striblue
07-22-2003, 06:39 PM
Here is a fly I will try on the Monomoy Flats... The usual sili skin but on a clouser... If anyone thinks it's not a fly they can take it up with Sully;)

juro
07-22-2003, 07:53 PM
Curious... how flexible is the siliskin?

striblue
07-22-2003, 08:12 PM
It's tail does "wiggle".... I am not trilled about it because it is not all tied in... but I will try it...Under a school... all the other silli skin patterns I have seen do not use the clouser eye... so this will "escape" from the sand.... so to speak. I know what I mean.

Slinger
07-23-2003, 01:21 AM
John, it looks alot like the Gummi Minnows I saw at the SWE booth at the shows. I`ve looked all over and haven`t been able to find a recipe for them. Do you know where it might be? Ineed flies that move for fishing light currents.
Slinger

DFix
07-23-2003, 09:43 AM
9:25 a. - just tried calling you at the hacienda; intercept disconnected at voicemail (2nd) stage.

REGARDLESS OF YOUR DISLIKE OF MONOFILAMENT THREAD!!! :whoa: maybe you could:

A. Tie in the superhair/flashtail at the bend.
B. Spiral wrap the shank with super hair and flash back to the tail tie-in point. Wrapping the body with material would give a secure point for the Siliskin to mount against, like screw threads.
C. Cut and mount the Siliskin; put a wide spiral wrap of mono thread around/over the body mount part.
D. Maybe vee-nip both dorsal and underside of Siliskin at varying points to give skin an ability to flex and wiggle before mounting over hook and flash.

Ssully - Oh, Well!!! :hehe:

striblue
07-23-2003, 10:00 AM
All good points Dave and will experiment with that... For now I just wanted to keep it simple since ,if it works, i can them begin to improve it...I am here in Winchester this week.

BigDave
07-23-2003, 10:51 AM
John,

Great idea. If you're worried about the sili skin coming undone it will never happen. Watched Rich Murphy "tie" with it at the Winchester show. The stuff almost bonds to itself when you "stick it". Even stick on dome eyes are permanently attached to the soft plastic using no glue whatsoever.

I will tie some tonight and try them this weekend. Please report on your results.

Are you using an olive marker and the clear/pearlescent sili skin on this pattern?

Dave

striblue
07-23-2003, 01:11 PM
Dave, yes it's an Olive marker and pearl sili skin I got from Rich Murphy this past winter... I hold it down with a bodkin to apply the marking otherwise if I hold it down with one finger, use the other to release the first finger... I go back and forth Forever:hehe: Like fly paper...

ssully
07-24-2003, 12:47 PM
..."I have done baitfish and shrimp with it..but feel that it takes too much of the material to do the sand eel and will keep my limited source for shimp backs and very small bait fish. Not sure if it will give you greater advantage as a sand eel than the luck we have had with the deep eel anyway."

striblue
07-24-2003, 01:08 PM
OK ,Ok ..Sean... I changed my mind... I will see if it works... besides it's so small and I am not using a lot of it... I don't know where you got that quote of who said it..;)