Rain jacket conundrum [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Rain jacket conundrum

airedale
07-21-2003, 05:45 PM
Trying to solve the rain jacket mystery here in the Pac NW. Looking at making an investment in either the Patagonia SST, Simms Guide, and Orvis tailwaters. Any thoughts, experience, and/or recommendations are appreciated as they are all nice coats. Anywhere to find them discounted??

Muchas Gracias ---

Eddie
07-21-2003, 09:08 PM
the Sims is far and away the best.

Nick
07-21-2003, 09:13 PM
Not sure if this helps or not, but I love my Marmot Precip jacket http://www.ems.com/media/images/products/210/21008/2100882/210088232/210088232_200.jpg

that I got from EMS last year for under a hundred bucks. Waterproof, lightweight, breathable, and two big front pockets. Also can access anything I put in my inside front pockets of my shirt as well.

Just another suggestion to look at...

juro
07-21-2003, 09:16 PM
I've had good luck with the deep wading jacket. Pricey but really a great jacket. The zipper pull corroded in the extensive salt water use I give it, but I can't fault them for that. I don't rinse it after every use figuring the rain would dilute the salt. I think spraying off the zipper pull would be adequate to prevent this problem, the rest of the jacket is pretty flawless. I use the remaining metal to zip it up just fine but will probably repair the pull with one of those camper's zipper pull repair kits someday.

Even though this is a damn good jacket, for torrential rainfalls in cool weather nothing beats the ol' pvc jacket. Columbia used to make those inexpensive Frazier shorties for deep waders. Doesn't breathe but in cool weather it's not a big deal and you stay dry as a bone.

Smolt
07-21-2003, 09:42 PM
What size jacket are you looking for?

NrthFrk16
07-21-2003, 10:53 PM
Juro's recomendation regarding Patagonia's Deep Wading Jacket is a good one. Great features, great jacket that will keep you dry without dropping a ton of dough ($180 or so).

If you want the ultimate wet weather jacket...go with the Simms Guide Jacket. Mine is a few years old and keeps me dry through the wettest nastiest of Olympic Peninsula downpours!

flytyer
07-22-2003, 12:53 AM
There is also my current favorite rain jacket for winter fishing in the PNW, the Hodgeman Fishing Jacket. It is a breathable jacket with hood that has pockets for tippets, line wallet (to hold your sink tips), fly boxes, hood hone, etc. I bought one when they first hit the market 3 years ago because it eliminates the need to have a vest and rain jacket in the winter.

For me, it is really hard to beat having a rain jacket that is also my vest for winter fishing here in Washington state. I never have to worry about forgetting my vest or leaving something behind because it is all in my winter rain jacket. Simple, convenient breathable, and durable piece of outdoor gear. The only problem is very few shops carry them in stock.

jimS
07-22-2003, 08:06 AM
Two years ago, four of us were fishing the Muskegon in an all day downpour. Two were wearing Simms Guide Weight jackets. The other two were wearing a Cabela's Gore Tex jacket and an Orvis jacket. At the end of the day the two wearing the Simms jackets were bone dry. The others were drenched inside their jackets. Thats when the other guy and I purchased Simms jackets. They are designed for fishermen and an excellent investment if you want to stay dry.

BobK
07-22-2003, 08:34 AM
Gore tex is fine if the weather is warmer. But if you fish in cold sleetstorms and snowstorms, there is nothing like a good vinyl rain jacket. You don't need much in the way of shirts under it, but a "non-breather" will keep you warm and toasty all day.

I have both types, and use 'em as weather, wind and temp. dictate.

BobK :D

airedale
07-23-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Smolt
What size jacket are you looking for?

Large

Smolt
07-23-2003, 06:22 PM
Airedale,

If you are interested, I have a virtually new Patagonia Deep Wading Jacket in size large that I will sell for $90 US plus shipping. I also have a NWT Patagonia SST jacket in size medium (they run large) that I will sell for $175 plus shipping. I would have sent you an email or cp with this info, but those methods do not seem to be available for communicating with you.

CK

juro
07-23-2003, 06:30 PM
Smolt -

I'll take the deep wading jacket if you haven't sold it yet.

Smolt
07-23-2003, 06:39 PM
Its yours Juro. It is the blue ripstop jacket, not the greenish jacket. If you don't like it, you can send it back. Where do you want me to send it?

CK

juro
07-23-2003, 06:47 PM
First let's let airdale have right of refusal. Also I am not familiar with blue ripstop... is it a breathable material like the sage green one I own and love?

Smolt
07-23-2003, 07:03 PM
It is definitely breathable. It is the outer material that Patagonia used about two seasons ago. It is smoother than the current material -- which feels a little fuzzy to me. As I said, if you don't like it, you can return it, but I don't think you will.

By way of background, you may remember from our conversations about rods that I have an aquisitive streak in me. I now have a vintage SST jacket, the Deep Wading jacket, and two new SST jackets. I use the vintage SST. I bought the others in hopes that my sons might join me on a fishing trip or two. They haven't and most likely won't in the near future, thus my willingness to part with the Deep Wading jacket. The fact that I just recently bought a C-VEX 9/10 to use with my CND Custom 8/9 also has induced me to try to turn some of my past purchases into cash.

CK

juro
07-23-2003, 07:16 PM
Are you in Maine? I need to drive to Portland soon. Maybe we could grab lunch and eliminate shipping. We can find a place to complete the spey discussion we started at the Muskegon as well.

Smolt
07-23-2003, 07:29 PM
Unfortunately, I am back in Chicago. I won't be back in Maine until late August, and then again in late September.

To save FlyTalk space, feel free to email me at ssalar@hotmail.com.

CK

airedale
07-23-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by juro
First let's let airdale have right of refusal. Also I am not familiar with blue ripstop... is it a breathable material like the sage green one I own and love?

You guys are too nice. Juro, the Deep Wade is yours and thx for giving me right of refusal. True fisherman ettiquette.

I would definitely take the SST if it were a large but I'm pretty sure this is the size I need. I will go to fly shop tomorrow and try the Medium on and let you know tomorrow.

Airedale

Penguin
07-24-2003, 09:12 AM
Clean sleeves...
Velcro tabs...Cuffs...Snaps...Whatever...
All get in the way of the line management process...soonerorlater!
I like the Simms scheme...the sleeve is clear and the cuff and adjustment tab are tucked under/out of the way.
Nothing on the end of your warm/dry arm to snag a line!
Going on year 4.5 years...I REALLY like my Simms jacket and Guide waders!
IMHO It's usually cheaper to do it right the first time than to have to replace inferior gear with what you should have started with in the first place...