2 or 3wt and any suggestions? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: 2 or 3wt and any suggestions?

airedale
07-21-2003, 04:40 PM
How Do,

Great, small river near Seattle with small rainbows and only own 5 wt rod. What would you recommend, either a 2 o 3wt and what models would you recommend? Is a 2 wt too small and are there any rod, reel, combos that are decent. Do not want to invest too much $$..

thx and tight lines---

NrthFrk16
07-21-2003, 09:51 PM
airedale-
It sounds like the perfect rod for you without spending a large chunk of change, would be the Winston Ibis #3 7'6"...it is a 4 piece and retails for only $295.

I absolutely love this little rod and plan on picking one up one of these days and everyone I have sold them to has rave reviews of this rod.

Put a #3 SA GPX on it and you are good to go! :)

alflyfisher
07-23-2003, 09:53 AM
I think it all depends on what kind of flies you are throwing. If you are using dries flies exclusively #14 and up a 2wt would work but, if you find yourself dredging the bottom with heavy nymphs a 2 or 3 weight will be too light to cast effectively. I would step up to a 4 or 5 weight. I know you said you already had a 5 weight but, you might consider a 5 wt with a lot softer action that will load up fairly quick but, will be able to throw a heavy nymph accurate and effectively. Not to mention with a softer action it will make those small rainbows feel like monsters.

my 2 cents