Fly Fishing Forum banner

South Beach-7/20

3K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  Sprocket 
#1 ·
5 am... walked till around 6. was suppose to meet Nick S. but could not find him... Picked up about 12 fish all between 20 and 25 inches.... Dropping tide...dropped a couple fish in the surf... left around 9:30 as the Orvis flyfishing school decended on where I was.

#3 ·
It's like...

...being accosted by a troup of Moonies at the airport!

Alot of stick flailing and, for safety sake, it's best to beat a retreat.
The IronAlloyMan knows when it's time to go! (but he'll be back!);)

p.s.
Read John's chapter in the Orvis Manual on "proper attire" and "accessorizing, fact or fiction"... :hehe:

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks Kush... well you would appreciate this... they all came in full flyfishing regalia... waders, boots... It's already around 90 degrees and no one is going into that surf anyway.... I had flats short..bare feet ,no vest ( I carry one box of flies, one twist of leader probably three leaders when cut down and wire)... my smokes... a striping basket with all the useless stickers I accumulate, a neck chain with my tools...... walked the 2 miles and then two miles back, they took the boat at 8....I was there at 5:30.or 6.... Since they are just learning no one was double hauling... so I pick up the fish.... and a guys says "leave some for us"...I had a bunch before they came and had three on while they were around me. I told them they were there but they need to get the cast out further... to give fish room to see the fly and then follow it in....... the only thing I forgot... was my ascot which I borrow usually from the Dave Fix collection... Jared runs the school and is a good guy, I spoke with him for a while.... anyway... the newbes were having fun and we know how hard the double haul is if you have just learned to cast..... well, I should talk...all that same stuff is gather dust at home.

#5 ·
John,
Same path, not quite as far. Left light around 5:45, walked around first two points, and turned back to get home before everyone else awoke.

Ended up with one fish, but that was enough. Proved to the naysayers, that there are fish in Chatham, and that I can catch them!

Was good talking to you, and thanks for the tips. Too bad we didn't hook up. Good luck this week back in reality!

nick

#6 ·
Nick, I saw two specks in the distance walking... then stopipng.. and fishing I guess was that you and your friend?... Then a third speck and it was a spinner who made the treck by me and beyond... D**m... I had hooked up when he was in visuals of me...Stopped next to me about 30 yards and casted... I stopped ..walked up the Bluff behind me and watched and waited..he did not hook up... then waited for him to pass and worked the next school that pasted into the hole.

#7 · (Edited)
Ascot Collection

striblue said:
Thanks Kush... well you would appreciate this... they all came in full flyfishing regalia... waders, boots... It's already around 90 degrees and no one is going into that surf anyway.... I had flats short..bare feet ,no vest ( I carry one box of flies, one twist of leader probably three leaders when cut down and wire)... my smokes... a striping basket with all the useless stickers I accumulate, a neck chain with my tools...... walked the 2 miles and then two miles back, they took the boat at 8....I was there at 5:30.or 6.... Since they are just learning no one was double hauling... so I pick up the fish.... and a guys says "leave some for us"...I had a bunch before they came and had three on while they were around me. I told them they were there but they need to get the cast out further... to give fish room to see the fly and then follow it in....... the only thing I forgot... was my ascot which I borrow usually from the Dave Fix collection... Jared runs the school and is a good guy, I spoke with him for a while.... anyway... the newbes were having fun and we know how hard the double haul is if you have just learned to cast..... well, I should talk...all that same stuff is gather dust at home.
As many of you know, we, as fine Gentlemen and impeccable dressers, must make the best show of ourselves on any occasion. As the Right Honourable Mayor of Chatham, our illustrious Striblue admirably aspires to this ideal. Thus, whenever possible, I make available many of my elegant and luxurious gentleman's accessories for his use and enjoyment.

However, as my gentlemen's apparel and accessory website, known as The Ascot American Collection, is currently unavailable, due to some scurrilous reprobate's attempt at sabotage...until such time as I am able to repair it to satisfy the needs of my customers, please patronize these fine establishments.

www.mossbros.com
www.ascot.co.uk
And, for the distaff side of our piscatorial pursuance, visit:
www.houseofhats.co.uk

For those of you planning to visit Bermuda, please visit:

www.triminghams.com
or visit Trimingham's and Archie Brown's while touring Front Street in beautiful Downtown Hamilton.

Thank You.
:smokin:

#9 · (Edited)
Dave..you da man!... Thanks..love the Ascot site .By the way thanks for loaning me the cigarette case... 1921..Birmingham hallmark... sterling...A must for the vest!..you were right!... also works well if you need to signal rescuers from the sky...Marvin...where have you been?... it takes this to get you out? Now this is useful stuff... forget.. the. "I caught this ..and i caught that"..or.. the "weather was tough but I was tougher"... Now this is Useful information...I will soon show August collection of fishing attire... no more browns, tans or greens......and what about those green, brown, tan waders?????????? Geezzeee!how about some nice plaids... or...stripes.. ocean blue,maybe ...you get the picture...Kush will intro them out west... time to change ...

Attachments

#12 ·
Oh alright!... no more looking like we are landing at Normandy... here is the August selection for flats and beach fishing... this combo can also be used from a boat,,but remove the straw boater when going from one place or another. I love this !

#14 · (Edited)
Mr. Marvin:

As I have acquired East Coast distribution rights to the PWOT Moustache Wax concession, I am currently pursuing purchasing majority shares in the firm. Please do not use the style or any other advertising information relating to PWOT without express permission of the shareholders. I shall contact my attorneys to discuss whether there has been any infringement on corporate revenues or good will by your less than glowing reference to our products' quality.

Mr. Desjardins: I am shocked and appalled to think you would even suggest we allow anyone who patronizes the likes of that emporium to participate in our elite pursuit - especially, dressed as you exhibit. Horror! :eek:

We will accept nothing short of brand snobbery and extremely overpriced apparel.

As for the Boater - our fine apparel emporia offer Boaters, soft and comfortable Panama styles, Pith helmets, Fedora, Borsalino, Bowlers and Cricket covers. All styles available in sizes to cater to most gentlemen's needs. My thanks to the Mayor for his time and modelling capabilities.

#15 ·
JM - what about the coconut with a straw & umbrella!?

I can just see you strolling the sandy shore, beverage in one hand, Zukatron in the other while behind you stumbles your caddy tripping over several rods, casting bucket, himself & a doggie bed (for those slooow days) a la Jerry Lewis...

(high whiney voice) Oh say, Mr Morin, I know there's some fish. [stumbles, trips breaks rod - leaves it behind nervously] Yeah, um, my Mom used to take me there when I was a kid, uh huh. It's called N.E.A.! It's right in Downtown Boston, by the water - they got seals and everything. FROYLAYVIN!

#16 · (Edited)
Hysterical guys, absolute Riot! :D :D And to think, I'm so Spring 2k3 with my waders I just bought, and all that money on shirts! The horror to show up with anything less than the season's finest.

Fix and SB: You guys planning any runway appearances to initiate the new product launch?

#17 ·
Think "Co-ordinate", Nick - you must have one of every co-ordinating and contrasting color ascot and pocket square to complete your new shirt wardrobe. It is a must!

Re: our launch of new lines - we are in discussions with a famous English haberdasher to review our Fall Line ideas. Tasteful silk and seersucker, luxurious breathable Egyptian cottons, tropical weight wools, gabardines ready for travel or club functions. With the intense developments we expect to present, we may hold off until Spring 2004 before our next show. I hope I've answered your question.

Always remember - Fashion. Style.

#18 · (Edited)
Sproket has the picture..if more of you were like him we could change things... Anyway, I like the little drink straws with the embrellas... wait an minute, this is suppose to be a fly fishing site!!!!!!!!!We are suppose to be serious!!!This got out of hand... well, I don't expect a lot of hits here since this is an old thread. I will model, my French Foreign Legion hat I bought years ago at " Marine Specialties Inc." in P-Town ( I was there specifically to go there so forget the wise cracks... although I saw Fix in the distance and could not get his attention as he had some weird leather thingy on his head ...and black leather skin tight waders...I suppose?))...White and tan pith Helmet or "solar Topee' as Dave refers to them... etc.

#19 ·
And I was there specifically to look for ideas for our "Death March" olive drab line - so no wisecracks about the pith helmet, either. I saw you down the street - ducking in and out of doorways trying to see what I was doing - you're not as sneaky as you think!

#24 ·
Don't try and mislead the masses, Sprocket.... Those facts are unsupportable... where Dave goes is not my concern , but loved the attire... let see... Ferry from Boston to P-town... icognito...back in time to check out from work... very clever.

#25 ·
Yeah, try and weasel out -

As I recall, you were doing your best to try and remain unnoticed - what was THAT ABOUT, HUH???

I told you, I was looking for camo or tiger stripe surplus so I didn't have to bother Natick Labs for the current design patterns - we don't need new designs for an eight mile trudge. As far as the pith helmet goes, I don't think anybody but you noticed, and as far as you moderating and getting fired, there's probably no chance of that - who doesn't know we argue and accuse like this all the time anyway? Bad part is they don't know just how victimized I am by some of your slants:eek:

Okay, so go to Monomoy in Pink and Salmon colored shirts - keep standing out against the sky in Azure Blue or Lemon Yellow - see if I care! Personally I'm going in desert camo or tiger stripe - so there! (geez, try and do something for the greater good and this is what I get :confused: :smokin: :devil: )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.