Cape Cod Tuna Report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Cape Cod Tuna Report

striblue
07-19-2003, 07:52 PM
When I stopped in to see Harry Koons yesterday..he reported that the Tuna were only 4 miles (+ or -) off Nauset beach... But the probem for fly rods is that he says they were too big.... 200 to 350 pounders, moving at top speeds..... 14 wts?

craig
07-20-2003, 03:19 PM
John:

In talking to the owner of The Lower Forty's fly shop in Worcester, he told me he has sent back a lot of 12 wt's last year. He said if you are going after tuna you need to have a 14 wt.

He told me there is a new rod coming out I think he said "Temple Forks" or something like that, for around 250.00. He also said the problem would be getting a real that would hold 400/500 yards of backing for around 200.00, the only reals he knows of that hold that amount are in the 700/800 range. Do you know for any?

Craig

Jim Miller
07-20-2003, 05:24 PM
Hey Guys
Being a frugal kind of guy.......I just got set up for Tuna for around $400.

I found the Temple Forks Outfitters 14 wt for $270 w/o rod case...brand new this week.... w/ rod case $300

At our local Orvis Outlet Store I found a Redington 13/14 LA reel (for $105) which I loaded w/ 500 yards Spectra backing. I already had a 600 sinking line to fill out the bill.
I thought this was a great outfit for someone (like me) who will be going after SBFT only 5-10 times a year! Great Warranty for rod & reel Too!
Hope to find some to play with south of MV the first 2 weeks of August.
:) :) :)

2HandTheSalt
07-20-2003, 08:44 PM
Just piling on: That new TFO 14-weight is a really nice fly rod. I think Harry at Nauset Angler has some coming.

Don't see how you can beat this sub-three-hundred-dollar tuna fly rod.

josko
07-21-2003, 08:49 AM
A superb tuna reel in the ~$200 range is the Penn 4, and for slightly more, Penn 4 A/R. I've used mine on both 12 and 15 wts and have never felt undergunned. The drag is comparable to the finest cork reels costing 5 times as much. Mine has 600 yds of Airflo 50# backing on top od 100' of 80# dacron.
They are getting to be a bit hard to find, but one should be able to pick them up for short $$$.
I have seen two redington AR 13/14's fail on tuna last year. One got the spool release latch somehow wrapped around the reel axle, jamming the reel but solidly, and the other ended up with a delaminated drag asbout 1/2 hr into a frisky fight. The drag got so 'throbby' the fish broke off shortly afterwards. We found the drag maretial separated from the reel over about 1/3 of the drag surface. Not sure whether that was due to heat or shear friction.

bcasey
07-21-2003, 03:43 PM
I picked up a Penn 4ar used but in great condition from Mike Holiday (Dir. of Comm. for Pathfinder Boats) as well as a guide I think? Also picked up a Penn 13wt. used on E-Bay, any comments on 13wt? will it be tough enough? I had the reel spooled with 650 yds. of 50# high-vis Power Pro and a 525 grain 24' sink tip Cortlant 444sl. Please comment on this set up. I know, I know, I'll try to keep the fingers out of the way of the PP.
BTW, I got a report that Capt. Al Anderson of the Prowler out of Point Judith took about a 65 mile ride and picked up 25 SBFT 20 to 40lbs. a couple of days ago and the next day, with about 3 or so more miles, had more fish than was necessary, bigger too!
I'm on another charter with him on Aug. 20, yep right before the Boneclave, so I hope to have some stories to tell. Hopefully they don't include one of us throwing the other overboard!:devil:

Bob Pink
07-21-2003, 06:02 PM
Got to agree with josko about the Redington 13/14. I also picked one up this winter on ebay for short coin to have as a backup to my Pate Tarpon (which performed well last year on the big hardtails) The drag is the same as the smaller Reds and there is no way it will stand up to the runs. I didn't even bother getting it spooled with backing.
Jim, I'd be very cautious about that reel, maybe a good idea to have a leather palm glove with you to provide some 'rim control'.

Jim Miller
07-21-2003, 08:52 PM
Bob & Josko
Thanks for the heads up on the redington 13/14. I have a 9/10 that has worked well as a backup to my Tibor everglades. But if they do not beef up the drag for the 13/14... it is not going to work.
NOW.....any advice on how to convince my wife that I SHOULD have a Tibor Gulfstream? Thanks again:tsk_tsk: :tsk_tsk:

Jim Miller
07-22-2003, 03:20 PM
Well.....
You guys put the fear of god in me! Returned the redington and got a Penn 4G AR.........didn't dare lobby for the Tibor Gulfstream :tsk_tsk: :tsk_tsk: :tsk_tsk:
Thanks again for the advice

josko
07-22-2003, 07:11 PM
That reel won't let you down. Take a look at this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3619156165&category=23818
for a spare spool (courtesy of Bob Pink). Howeverl, be warned that spools are tough to change on a boat. Too many small parts.

craig
07-22-2003, 09:24 PM
Anyone willing to tell about just general areas where someone might run into BFT?

Hawkeye
07-23-2003, 08:34 AM
Last year I ran into them as close as five miles off the North River. This year? Who knows. I think a general area is about the best info you will ever get as they seem to move around quite a bit.