Nice Trouphy size Trout C & R [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Nice Trouphy size Trout C & R

h2o
07-18-2003, 08:00 AM
Paitence pays off. My favorite very large tailwater is none for quality over quanity. It has some very large meet eaters in it.

Every year I get a few. Last night right at dark God smiled and a 24" Brown just SMASHED my swung sz. 6 bugger. Huge fight, big leap, and a few "wow's" by me latter and it came to hand.

I have learned over the years when fishing the big boys if you want to land them, proper streamer gear is a most. I had a 9' 6" 6 wt rod and my tippet was heavy, drag set tight, large arbor reel.

The big Brown still smoked the drag, in the rivers strong current, over & over.

Ahhh, it was nice to fall asleep last night dreaming about that Brown, the river & the hard rip on the swing.

h2o

Dble Haul
07-18-2003, 03:21 PM
My streamer setup is very close to yours: a 6 weight rod, 8.5' long. I never use anything lighter than 2X tippet because of too many breakoffs on the initial strike.

It sounds like you caught quite a monster. I hope the memory stays with you vividly for a long time.

jcc_00
07-20-2003, 05:38 AM
It is amazing how the browns prowl at dark, isn't it? There is a trout that is a real predator. Even rainbows fall to the browns once in a while and I have taken browns on "mouse" flies that were 7-8 inches long. I was fishing the Housatonic(sp?) this Spring and had a monster brown come completely out of the water so I could see the belly in the early afternoon.

FlyFishAR
07-25-2003, 06:00 AM
h2o:

Excellent!!!! I would have loved to have been there to see that happen. Well done! :smokin:

John