Fly Fishing Forum banner

Chatham Light-7/16 & 17

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  striblue 
#1 · (Edited)
Just a quick status... too windy yesterday and fog so it was hard to eyeball the area.. outgoing... Quit.... this morning perfect outgoing...nothing...But I did make some valuable structural observations... found two promising rips to the right of the point on the outer bars.... The big girl bar is getting deeper and it is difficult to get to the outer bars except at dead low and that is useless... too thorny to hang around on the outer bar at incoming since it is waist deep at low between the shore access bar and the outer bar...BUT to the right are some good holes at the next outerbar access. Both have a direct access to open water and might be a good bet on the incoming...Seals are very close in and deep water with safe access back to shore as I figued it out . I look forward to fishing it at incoming and will report... tomorrow the Rip Ryder to South beach... first the ocean... then inside on the incoming...

#2 ·
So, let me ask this for education's sake: Is that changing structure out front an area you 'would or could' use your kayak to get to, fish, and return from safely? - or, is there too much logistical headache in finding a launch/recovery area, etc. Going there once doesn't allow me much perspective on feasibility of my question.

TIA.

#3 ·
The structure this year is outstanding in the area around the bend from big girl, but I wouldn't bother with a yak for two reasons:

1) you'd have to launch it about two miles away
2) you are susceptible to very strong tide currents that may or may not be in your favor on a given change

Other than those two factors, the area would be ideal for fishing with the use of a yak to extend time on the outer barrier bars while the tide and fish push in around you, or to reach an outgoing rip where no one could walk to.

When shore fishing, there are several choice spots where a reasonable cast is all you need to put the fly in front of oceanside feeding bass and blues, so you don't need a yak to take advantage of it.

So in summary if you are willing to make the paddle and you play the tides right it could be a phenomenal kayak outing to fish the 2003 structures around the Chatham Break.

You can certainly take full advantage on foot the way the sand is shaped this year as well, provided you play the tides in favor of aggressive fish movement within reach of a fly.

#4 ·
That's why I asked

I've been there once - as you know. I didn't know if a kayak needed to be launched in either Pleasant Bay or down near Morris Island, whether it could be thrown down the stairway or what. Although I had worse than lousy luck during my one visit I remember all you guys doing well on that flowage and so forth. I also remember IronMan and Jimmy wading toward Portugal on that flat. I didn't go as far as they did; I decided to stay within three miles of shore. Glad to hear the area is productive and access friendly for you guys.

#6 ·
Thanks for the information

Let me clear something up, and perhaps close this and not waste you guys' time-

I don't expect to get back to the Cape this year, much less kayak around the light.

I posed the question to learn whether this changing structure John spoke about would be worthy of kayak access by himself and others, affording less chance of getting stuck on the shoal by a tide change, and whether any chance of fishing that shoal were to be enhanced by going at it in plastic.

Thanks for the replies.

#7 ·
Hey John
Was at South Beach this morning. Just missed you. I was down to the left on the inside near that big flat. Had some follows but no hook-ups. Saw you take the 11:00 Am boat home, didn't know it was you. Hung around till 11:45 boat the Rip Ryder said you were taking. Maybe next time we will meet up. Good luck Saturday.
Brian

#8 ·
Brian...sorry we missed... Keith said you took the 9:30 I was there on the 8... fished the ocean and only hooked two...but I was down at the left ,on the ocean from the drop off... was going to walk out and do the incoming...but felt I had things to do today and had to stop in to talk to Harry Koons... so I left early. Tomorrow I am doing all day at South..not North Monomoy.... I will be around all summer so let me know again whn you are down and we will make more definite plans.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.