Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bass...in the dark!

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Dble Haul 
#1 ·
Headed over to the local golf course last night and proceded to enjoy one of my more memorable bass fishing forays in recent memory. This particular pond has a sizeable population of small(12"-14") bass but the larger fish are few and very far between. So I decided a change in tactics was in order. I started fishing around 10:00 pm and was into fish almost immediately. I was using a very large(and noisey) dark colored popper that I normally use on rockfish here in the Chspke. Bay. I employeed a very steady cadence on the retrieve and the bass responded with vigor. Although I probably missed half of the strikes I still managed to land a half dozen or so in an hour or two. Although I caught a couple of "dinks" the average size was definitely much larger than encountered during my evening efforts. My best fish of the night was probably around three and a half pounds and I lost one that was probably pushing the 5 lb. mark. Not a monster but a nice sized fish in any part of the country!

#3 ·
The river is almost three feet lower than it was the last time I fished it a month ago. Stucture that held fish at sundown back then is now completely exposed. I drove around looking for secondary structure, and although I found some I didn't catch anything worth bragging about. The river was so low that I didn't stay out after dark for fear of having a collision with any newly exposed rocks and/or bars.

Fishing in difficult conditions definitely makes me think. I will take what I can away from this and learn.

Side rant: Waterskiers don't belong in "No Wake" zones!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.