Early Sept Kings on PM? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Early Sept Kings on PM?

willmullis
07-15-2003, 06:12 PM
Speaking to alot of people here on the forum while doing some research on my own I have realized how crazy the PM in late September can be. I had talked to a flyshop in Baldwin who told me that the time to go was the 3rd and 4th week of Sept when there is the most amount of fish in the river. I am trying to stay away from the crowds as much as possible so I am considering changing my trip to the 1st week of September. From what I have seen the Salmon are fresh and silver.

I was just wondering if someone with experience could let me know if this is a good move? Are there enough Salmon in the river at this time to give us a good shot at some fish?

We are gonna be up there for 5 days and plan on a few days of trying to find some good trout water that isn't shoulder to shoulder with Salmon fisherman.

Thanks Guys!!!

voodoofly
07-15-2003, 09:31 PM
Will,

There will be pods before Labor day. You will need to look for them. The salmon crowds will be down but there is always an Aluminum hatch during the day to contend with. You will want to look downstream of the bug water and hope for rain.

I hate to dissappoint you but you won't find too many "silver" fish, though some jacks will be. The spawners take on an olive color that turns to black.

You really need to fish the late season for fresh chrome. No disappointments.

voodoofly