Bayside Parking [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Bayside Parking

JDMuddler
07-13-2003, 04:57 PM
I plan to try the incoming near Paine's creek tomorrow morning. Does anyone know if the parking lot is open at 6 am or if there are other parking options?

jimS
07-13-2003, 05:16 PM
The parking lot does not have a gate per se. Not sure whether it is for residents only this time of year. I fish it in June, Sept/Oct and have no problem.

Oone cautionary note: the incoming tide rises 6 inches every 15 minutes on the bayside. There is a trench as you enter the flat, and if you wait too long after the tide turns, you may be over your waders on the way back to shore. The other issue is fog. Take a compass and make damn sure you have a heading to get back to shore.

If you haven't fished that particular stretch before, I strongly suggest that you look at it at low tide. The channel meanders around the flat, and its critical that you know where you are on that flat, particularly if the fog rolls in.

Be safe and wear an inflatable PFD on the bayside, whether its the flats or the creek mouths or you may end up in P'town.

Simms

JDMuddler
07-13-2003, 05:33 PM
Jims - Thanks for the parking info and the warning! I plan to be very cautious. Also, I have gotten into the habit of wearing my inflatable PDF/vest every time I venture out.

FishHawk
07-14-2003, 05:06 AM
I fished that area last year and can confirm the warning about the trench. The guys who rake the sandeel wear small non inflatable PDF's. Good advise from Jim.
FishHawk

juro
07-14-2003, 06:32 AM
I hope you're not out on the edge today! Or at least you're aware that there is a potential thundershower threat and it would be advisable to watch the sky to the southwest and make the .75 mile wade upon the first sign of foul weather.

I cancelled a trip this morning due to thundershower threat. :mad:

JDMuddler
07-14-2003, 05:24 PM
Yes Juro, Brewster trip was canceled. Fished the North/South River area near Situate instead. Unfortunately, not much was happening there.

juro
07-14-2003, 06:26 PM
Man, the weather folks really blew the call as well - the front that looked so nasty on radar seemed to pass without making much of a fuss on land. Certainly could have gone out with a good buddy today and not been barbequed afterall. Oh well, better safe than sorry.