sage rplx vs. rplxi [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: sage rplx vs. rplxi

kynadog
07-13-2003, 03:25 PM
Is there really any difference between Sage's RPLx rods and the RPLxi rods or is it just Sage's way of selling more rods? I can get an 8 weight in either one.

Thanks for the input.

Penguin
07-13-2003, 06:25 PM
I think the "RPLX" is simply an earlier model...
I've got an RPLX 11 weight 2 piece and it does a number on big bass and tarpon...
I've got a 10 wt RPLXi 3 piece and it's a pleasure to cast and has lots of strength...
When I've gotta' fly, I pack an RPLXi 5 piece in an 8 & 9...Salmon fear them!

The Sage customer service folks are very good...800 533-3004
Sometimes it's nice to go to the source and talk to the people who REALLY know the answer to your question!

Greg Pavlov
07-14-2003, 12:41 AM
To me, RPLXsfeel stiffer/"faster" than RPLXis.

Eddie
07-14-2003, 08:25 AM
These are two very different rods. The RPLX is brown and the Xi is a bluish green color. They also changed the sock from brown to blue, and the tubes went from a tan color to grey. A big improvement!

kynadog
07-20-2003, 09:34 PM
I took Penguin's advice and called Sage. A very nice young man told me that the xi was different in that they have eliminated "a couple of the wraps" of rod material and that makes the rod a little lighter and load faster. He said that some people overline the RPLX to get it to load well and but there is no need to overline the RPLXi.

jcc_00
08-02-2003, 12:09 PM
I think your Sage contact hit the nail on the head. I have a number of RPLX rods and I overline them usually to get them to load more quickly and fire big flies into the wind better. I have to say I was not as happy with the RPLXi that I tried for a year and I went back to the RPLX in that weight.
Now, having said that, the RPLX rods are really stiff. So, if you are used to a much more flexible rod, the RPLX is going to seem like a telephone pole. The good news is that with a decent sized fish on you're still in some level of control. Enjoy

Jimmy
08-02-2003, 06:27 PM
I was just thinking of "treating" myself to a new rod. You just did much of the work for me. Thanks. Good info.