Just How Do You Do This? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Just How Do You Do This?

sjs
07-12-2003, 09:03 AM
Not sure which part of the forum I should ask this question. After getting good advice on my selection of a new 8 wt, I ended up with a Sage VPS 9ft, 4 piece and a Ross BG-4 reel. Thanks for the tip Juro, I like it very much. Despite never having had a rod this size or this fast I had no trouble adjusting to it and actually found it easier and more fun to cast than any previous rod I've had.

Trouble is, I bought a spare reel spool and put sinking line on it, which I have never used before. Now, after a day fishing for smallmouth on the Susquehanna River, I decided to give the sinking line a try. So what I'm wondering now is, just how do you cast one of those things? It must be a trick done with smoke and mirrors, right? It's a 250 gr Mastery Express Wet Tip-Fresh. Nobody can really cast one of these things can they?

Penguin
07-12-2003, 06:29 PM
IMHO...There are a few ways to skin a cat (sorry PETA)...this is one way to dump some line and get you started...
With the weighted line and about a foot of running line outside the rod tip (maybe less to start), do a forward roll cast to get the line on or near the surface and stretched out front...as soon as it lands start a sweep-to-the-side-round back cast and scribe what might look like a large "C"...starting low and as it swings to the rear and as the line stretches out start the forward top of the "C" and stop as you would with a normal cast...follow through...
This is tough...sorta' like telling someone how to paint a sunset...
Best if you can find someone who has broken the code for pointers. Keep false casts to a minimum...Sweep and shoot!
Time spent on the lawn will pay off on the water! (Caution...stay away from power lines!)
PracticePracticePractice
There are a few video tapes that might help...or your local shop!
Good luck and don't fall in...but, if you do, make it look good!:D

sjs
07-13-2003, 03:59 PM
Thanks Penguin, I'll give that a try.

Penguin
07-13-2003, 08:24 PM
It's not a bad idea to use a 45% stance...left foot forward for a righty...and check out what's happenin' on the back cast.
I'm constantly checking my 6 o'clock no matter what I'm throwing and, when my casting is not up to par, fixing what's wrong "back there" will frequently bring rewards up front.

juro
07-13-2003, 09:49 PM
To reinforce Penguin's great advice, I would offer two things:

1) false cast the head once or twice and shoot the running line
2) slow down and let the line do the work

If you don't have a stripping basket, you're gonna need one with this line.

Once you get the hang of it, experiment with letting some line slip into the final backcast before you come forward and release - but not too much.

Glad you liked the VPS, there were many good rods advised by a lot of members and you'd have done well with probably all of them but the VPS seemed like a good price/performance balance based on what you posted and I had personal experience with it.