Fast vs. Moderate action rod ? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fast vs. Moderate action rod ?

robow7
07-11-2003, 10:14 PM
Can you more experienced fisherman tell me what are the advantages and/or disadvantages of a fast vs moderate action flyrod. Is it really true that you get tighter loops with a faster action rod and is that what you more experienced fisherman like to use in 8' 6" 5 Wt. ? Thank you for your input.

roballen
07-12-2003, 02:28 AM
Ronbow

No it is not true. you can get food tight loops with rods of any action! it's all about generating line speed! If a rod is of good design it will generate high line speed wheather it is fast moderate or slow. The only way to know if a particular rod will do it is to go cast them.

Nooksack Mac
07-12-2003, 03:18 AM
Part of advanced flycasting skill is being able to control the width of the loop as desired. Nevertheless, it's easier to cast tight loops with a fast-action rod.
But is that necessary? A slow-action rod will heave a fat, round loop as far as one needs to cast in many situations. Fast-action rods are like magnum rifle cartridges in that their greater velocity and flatter trajectory is advantageous only at unusually long ranges.
For casting over lakes and larger rivers, fast-action rods offer an advantage. For fishing the intimate streams where fly fishing may be at its most enjoyable, slower action rods can be fine. Yesterday I reread an article from 1965 by A. J. McLane, the fishing editor of Field & Stream, about his favorite and most-used trout rod. It was a slow-action 7-1/2-foot bamboo for (in modern terms) 3- and 4-weight lines.
Actually, modern rods, even inexpensive ones, are usually medium or medium-fast in action, the latter being an excellent all-around action.

BobK
07-12-2003, 07:36 AM
Since no two fishermen are alike, may I suggest trying a rod out and deciding what matches your style of fishing AND casting? The reason that there are multiple actions out there are that certain people like certain rods to match their style of fishing.

I like fast action rods, no shorter than 9 feet. But that is a personal choice. But fishing CONDITIONS often dictate the weight of line (and rod) you use - heavier line cuts into the wind better, or casts a large fly (streamer or bass bug) better than light line. That's why I use a variety of rods - but all of primarily the same action.

In addition, you have to have a rod with enough weight and backbone to play your largest to average fish quickly so they will not be overly stressed to survive release, if you plan on "catch and release"!

And there is no such thing as an "all-around" rod - it will depend on where and how you fish, size of streams, and how you cast.

BobK:rolleyes:

loco_alto
07-12-2003, 01:14 PM
why the focus on tight loops? The rod that you are most comfortable casting will provide the best presentations. In 8'6" 5wt, I wouldn't be worrying too much about tight loops. Save that for the 7 wts and up.

h2o
07-15-2003, 10:31 PM
My fast 5 wts don't get as much use as my med. to med. fast 5's.

I prefer fast in 7 wt. & up. For full sinking & sink tip lines or long casts on flat water with a floater.

Otherwise I prefer med. fast rods.

Loops can be controled by your stroke with any rod, but tight loops are easy with fast rods. Also fast rods can carry more line in the air for long cast & pick more line off the water.

Many fast 5's today will cast a wf 6 f just fine. They are at the far end of a 5.

A fast 5 will take the fun out of Trout in all but large rivers. Although they make a nice light streamer rod.

h2o