Reel questions... QC Char and Brookies [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Reel questions... QC Char and Brookies

Shinglekill
07-10-2003, 07:44 PM
Hi all, I've been lurking here for a while and thought I'd introduce myself with some questions.

I've been flyfishing since I could walk, but 99% of my fishing has been on small spring Catskill creeks. I've never caught a fish over 14" and I've never fished larger than a 4wt.
In the end of August I'm headed to northern Quebec in search of Caribou, char and monster Brook trout. I'm expecting I'll be using streamers and muddlers and hoping for some dry action. After looking around for 8wt flyrods, I've found a great deal on a Winston LTX 9'6" 8wt. Now I'm looking for that perfect reel to match.

From some dealer suggestions, I've been considering;
Ross Canyon Big Game 4
Ross Evolution 3.5
Tibor Back Country Wide

I have no experience with either of these companies, and I'm buying them via the internet so I can't really judge them by feel.

Any preferences or other suggestions?

Which ever I get, I'll carry an extra spool with floating line in case I get lucky.

Thanks in advance,

Mean Mr Mustard
07-11-2003, 10:31 AM
Sorry to say I have no first-hand experience with those reels but I do know they all have solid reputations. From what I have heard, you should be happy with any of them.

Question for ya on the rod - Why an 8 wt. for trout? Seems to me to be serious overkill when a 6 wt. would start feeling a little heavy. Must be some huge fishies up there...

mmm

Shinglekill
07-11-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Mean Mr Mustard
Question for ya on the rod - Why an 8 wt. for trout? Seems to me to be serious overkill when a 6 wt. would start feeling a little heavy. Must be some huge fishies up there...
mmm

mmm, I'm going on my friends and my guides advice. We are to expect fish in the 4-20+ pound range. From 4lb brookies to 20+ pound lakers. Plus potential winds...

Thanks for your reply, now I'm considering a Bauer M4 or maybe a Hardy Gem Mid Arbor. I'm so confused:confused:

daveg
08-01-2003, 03:03 PM
I purchased a Ross Evolution 3.0 in March. Have fished with it about 5 times since. A very nice, smooth and quiet reel. It is extremely light weight and the drag is smooth. It is my first Ross reel, but likely won't be the last. It is fairly expensive and an extra spool costs as much as some reels. But cost aside it is my favorite reel already.

Another reel to consider is the Galvan, a nice, smooth reel about the same price.

jimS
08-01-2003, 03:51 PM
All of the above mentioned reels will meet your needs; however, if this is a one time shot at big fish, you might consider a cheaper approach. Ross is discontinuing the current Gunnison line of reels. A size 5 (for an 8wt) @ $245 retail is now being discounted by some flyshops. This reel is a solid performer.

jcc_00
08-01-2003, 03:51 PM
I'm a Bauer fan from way back and they make a great reel. You need to look at them before you buy though - they are not for everyone as they are a little tricky to change spools and maintain but they have excellent company support and are super strong with very nice drag systems. The Tibor line is also top shelf stuff

Where you may be headed char can routinely run 8-10 pounds, with the occasional 20 pounder ! They are Brook Trout on steroids Have a great time and hang on .

jimS
08-01-2003, 03:53 PM
My post should have said a size 4 Gunnison, not size 5.

Shinglekill
08-01-2003, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the replies, I ended up buying a Ross Canyon Big Game 4 and an extra spool. Seems real nice, although I havn't gotten to big water yet, I've only casted in the yard so far.

jcc_00
08-02-2003, 11:55 AM
Shinglekill
My Latin is too rusty to translate your motto ??

Shinglekill
08-02-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by jcc_00
Shinglekill
My Latin is too rusty to translate your motto ??

Loosely translates to "No wimpy/boring wines"

jcc_00
08-02-2003, 05:55 PM
Got it -