Wader Recomendations [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Wader Recomendations

Marco_Polo
07-08-2003, 01:34 PM
I've got some Cabela's points to burn, and a set of leaky neoprenes. Anyone have problems with their waders or recomend a set from Hodgman, Redington, or Bela's all of which are in the catalogs. I'm thinking that it's time to step up to breathables in the one to two hundred dollar range.

fredaevans
07-08-2003, 03:36 PM
Unless you fish in an area that has very cold weather stick to a good set of breathables. They give you much more year-round options. Winter ... just layer and you don't sweat like a piggie.

Sumer, and you don't want to wet-wade, a pair of shorts and white socks will keep you very comfortable in 80+ degree weather.
fae

Marco_Polo
07-08-2003, 11:17 PM
Thanks much Fred!

jcc_00
07-18-2003, 01:00 PM
I have very good luck with a pair of Reddington's lite breatheables - 4 yr warranty and no leaks three years into it

Marco_Polo
07-18-2003, 01:07 PM
Were yours the barrierflex model? Thanks

Willie Gunn
07-18-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by fredaevans
Sumer, and you don't want to wet-wade, a pair of shorts and white socks will keep you very comfortable in 80+ degree weather.
fae
Fred,
Why white socks, very essex man over here. Is the colour that important?

Malcolm

fredaevans
07-18-2003, 05:25 PM
you.

Of course they have to be white soxs. And de'regure (sorry to the French) is knee high Cricket apparel. And before I ask, yes I have several pair and I had to all the way to New Zeland to get them.

And, Gentlemen, you look rather dashing wearing these with walking shorts. Short white sox and walking shorts are a very, very tackie combination.

fae

Marco_Polo
07-19-2003, 12:29 PM
Boy all this info AND fashion sense too...how lucky can a guy get

fredaevans
07-20-2003, 01:17 AM
This board will exceed your wildest expectations.
:whoa:

FishHawk
08-07-2003, 05:24 AM
I had a pair of the Dry Plus bootfoot waders and had to return them twice got sick of the poor quality. The lining separated on the inside. Good customer service but a poor product.
FishHawk;)

gkis
08-07-2003, 11:25 AM
Marco_Polo,

I am looking for a pair of breathable waders too. Here in town I could have gotten a pair of Reddington top of the line for a very good price but then I did some research and found out that the product has very bad reviews, eventhough the warranty is great (4yrs) I backed off.
There is an independent research report of most of the breathables(companies that were willing to have there products tested) in flyfishusa.com (I am not sure of the exact webb address). According to the report, the Gortex technology is the best which puts the Simms on the top.
The last Simms guideweight waders went for $230 brand new on the Ebay. So next time will we bid against each other?
George

Marco_Polo
08-07-2003, 11:52 PM
I SURE DO LIKE THE SIMMS PRODUCT AND THE GUARANTEE , WHAT MORE CAN BE SAID...I JUST WISH THAT CABELA'S OFFERED THEM IN THEIR CATALOG SO I COULD USE BONUS POINTS TO BUY THEM....MAYBE I'LL JUST HAVE TO BITE THE BULLET AND BUY THEM ANYWAYS....THEN AGAIN HODGMANS ARE PRETTY NICE TOO.
:rolleyes:

Havok
08-25-2004, 11:16 AM
I have a problem shopping for waders because I'm 6'6" 2oolbs and have size13.5-14 feet, I always land inbetween sizes. NO pun intended to the big boys but it seems that waders that fight my hight and feet are for them 300lbs+ boys. Simms makes a G3 that fitts me but I'm not ready for that nice of gear yet. Just sharing my frustration.

flytyer
08-25-2004, 08:20 PM
Havok,

Any of the major wader manufacturers would make a pair of custom-fit ones for you for a few extra dollars. In fact, Hodgeman even offers custom-fit wader orders on their web site. If a person has problems finding waders that fit properly because of their height, body size, foot size, etc., all he has to do is either ask his local fly shop to order a pair of custom-fit ones for him, or go to the manufacturers web site and order them that way. There really is no reason for anyone not to have a pair of waders that fit properly because the custom-fit charges are really not that much and compared to having to suffer with ill-fitting waders, the custom-fit ones are very reasonable.

fredaevans
08-26-2004, 11:45 PM
I have a problem shopping for waders because I'm 6'6" 2oolbs and have size13.5-14 feet, I always land inbetween sizes. NO pun intended to the big boys but it seems that waders that fight my hight and feet are for them 300lbs+ boys. Simms makes a G3 that fitts me but I'm not ready for that nice of gear yet. Just sharing my frustration.

Hit the Cabela's catalog ... you're "covered."

Havok
08-28-2004, 10:27 PM
yea I just looked there and saw the Hodgman wadelite 1's for reasonable $ and a chestpack included ;) I'm all over'm when the bankroll starts to rocket.

Salmon Chaser
08-31-2004, 06:53 PM
I had a pair of Wardell breathables that took me into the fourth season, then just all of a sudden, leaked like crazy. i loved them though. I bought a pair of Hodgman "streamlite" that leaked the first day i took them out of the box. I fixed the problem myself and use them as a back-up to the Orvis"Endura" that i got off ebay this year. I love them!!! Very comfortable and not a problem as yet(cross fingers). My vote as to neoprenes go to the hodgman 4mm that i won on ebay 5 seasons ago. Only problem, as yet, was a chafe to the heel where my boots wore through- a little goop and I'll see my sixth season in them!
As I said, it is my first year in the Endura's, but I really like them and the price was right!
Salmon Chaser
><)))*>