JimW
07-08-2003, 01:33 PM
BoneClave
BoneClave
Boneclave
Boneclave

juro
07-08-2003, 02:14 PM
Thanks to this year's meister Brian Casey, BONECLAVE 2004 LIVES!

I hope to hook up with him this week to discuss details....

Hawkeye
07-08-2003, 04:24 PM
A highlight to my year! Please tell me it is not on the weekend of September 7th or I may have to move my wedding.:hehe:

juro
07-08-2003, 04:27 PM
Nope - you're safe! But it could turn into a bachelor party!! :devil:

doogue
07-08-2003, 05:40 PM
I have way too many weddings in August but if this falls on a non-wedding weekend then I am there for sure. I had the best time at Boneclave 2002.

Many thanks to Case for playing meister.

-Mike

Quentin
07-08-2003, 09:54 PM
uh-oh, somebody said the "B" word . . .

:D :D :D :D :D :D

ssully
07-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by juro
Thanks to this year's meister Brian Casey, BONECLAVE 2004 LIVES!
Juro,
Thats a bit far out for me to plan on. :hehe:

Mike,
I had the best time at Boneclave 2002. :confused:

It must be the excitement.:devil:

juro
07-08-2003, 10:41 PM
DOH :p

FishHawk
07-09-2003, 05:00 AM
I'll be there!! Missed the last one don't want to do that again.

FishHawk:D

shadfreak
07-09-2003, 06:05 AM
me too, me too
Larry:D

Dble Haul
07-09-2003, 07:51 AM
If I'm available, I'd love to join in as well.

fliboy
07-10-2003, 04:17 AM
I haven't been able to hit a Boneclave yet - hope this one lines up so I can make this one. When you guys going to nail the date - the suspense is killing me?

TL,

Dave

tomd
07-10-2003, 09:50 PM
the sooner I know the better chance I have of being able to join the fun!!! Tom D :hehe:

Lefty
07-12-2003, 05:03 PM
Oh yaaaa, we come outa the woodwork for this one. Interested.
Gregg, she'll understand. Best to break her in right away by moving your wedding date for fishing. :chuckle:

Lefty

Slinger
07-13-2003, 12:24 AM
You can`t put up a post like this and then say nothing for 5 days! I think you just want to torment us! You know I`ll be comming, whereever and whenever. I bet I`ve got 500 bone and albie flies tied.
Slinger

Stevo
07-13-2003, 03:38 AM
From an outsiders point of view... What is Boneclave?
By the reaction and subsequent post's it's gotta be good!:D

jfbasser
07-13-2003, 08:57 AM
Go get 'em Slinger. I need to see some of those flies. Next time I bump into you I am sure you will have some in the truck.:D

JimW
07-14-2003, 02:35 PM
BoneClave
BoneClave
Boneclave
Boneclave
Boneclave
Some pics from BoneClave 2001 (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chronicles/boneclave2001/gallery/roll1/index.htm)

Hawkeye
07-14-2003, 04:03 PM
You mean some pics from two years ago. ;)

Stevo
07-14-2003, 05:09 PM
I don't see many fish in them photies....Just who's got the biggest and most Bar-b's:D

juro
07-14-2003, 06:49 PM
Well Stevo, let me explain. We are primarily catch and release anglers, in fact all but a few fish were released, but the ones that were kept were the coveted Bonito (sarda sarda) for which the event took it's name, the Bonito Conclave or Boneclave for short. These fish are not an easy achievement on any tackle never mind the fly, and we did well on them this trip. In fact, although we try to do this every year we usually get big stripers, bluefish, false albacore (little tunny), fluke, etc - but this was the first year we actually landed bonito.

We celebrated by keeping a few and by the end of the night there was not a sashimi virgin in the group. They make excellent tataki but we were happy with the excellent sashimi and grilled fillet, not to mention Bob Parson's cherrystone clams and chowder, GregO's killer kabobs, Hawkeye's peach cobbler in a dutch oven, and mucho libations of the aged variety.

So it's about celebration of the arrival of a special fish in our waters, not about keeping fish. The camping and camaraderie alone are plenty.

In the previous year, we did not get bonito so kept a few spanish mackeral, which I found to be excellent both as sushi and grilled. This is a species that indicates the time of year when small inshore tunas invade our area:

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chronicles/boneclave2000/juros/full/spanish.jpg

Besides size doesn't matter...

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chronicles/boneclave2000/juros/full/dinner.jpg

Here's the "other" hardtail, the little tunny. Very hard to distinguish from the real deal until you get a look at them. Mankind has not figured out a way to eat these fish, other than the rock soup recipe. Boil water, add rock and fish, discard fish eat rock, etc.

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chronicles/froms101/clavepics/fa1-d.jpg

Oh yeah, and these stripers were busting so hard at my feet that the baitfish were flying out of the water onto the rocks, although I was able to "dap" a fish on every dip, I stopped to photograph the mid-day spectacle.

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chronicles/froms101/clavepics/bustin.jpg

Here's a shot where I got my shadow to look natural over a bazillion baitfish to try to make for a unique photo...
http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chronicles/froms101/clavepics/morebait.jpg

But in the end, it wasn't about the fish. It was about...
http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chronicles/froms101/clavepics/sunrise.jpg

speybum
07-14-2003, 10:29 PM
Where?
When?
:devil:
Is it warm there???

Is Juro bringing the Scotch??

I may have to see how the other half lives.

:smokin:

ssully
07-14-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by JimW
BoneClave
BoneClave
Boneclave
Boneclave
Boneclave
Some pics from BoneClave 2001 (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chronicles/boneclave2001/gallery/roll1/index.htm)

Jim,
Looks like a fun picnic. :hehe:

Case,
Since I'm not the reserved sort I vote for September Albies. That is unless a date is already set in stone.

Then of course we could do both! Albieclave #1 baby. :D

Slinger
07-14-2003, 11:57 PM
Remember last years albie clave in RI? Predicted bad weather caused many to cancel and the ones that showed on Fri. had pretty good weather and a ton of fish. The gale held off till Sat. I dropped my camera in the drink and this was one of the only pics that was saved, Lefty in the middle of a fluke blitz at the corner of the West Wall.
Slinger

Nick
07-15-2003, 07:14 AM
Can't wait for this one!

Nick

Stevo
07-15-2003, 02:22 PM
It looks an awesome occasion!

tomd
07-16-2003, 08:49 AM
do we have a date for it yet???
Tom D

JimW
07-16-2003, 10:36 AM
How about that date?

Case - you out there?

bcasey
07-16-2003, 10:59 AM
WOW, sorry I have been out of touch! But, I'm back to my old habbits, fishing too much and not paying attention to details. The product of just too darn many fish on the line.:hehe:

OK, BONECLAVE 2003
Where; Washburn Island
East Falmouth, (Waquoit) Ma.

When; August 22,23,24 & 25th

The remaining details will be posted in the next couple of days, so in the meantime, please consider the dates and what days you want to attend. I would think that the main bash of the event will be on Saturday afternoon/evening and you don't want to miss it!
So, tie up those flies, lube those reels and beat the moths out of the sleeping bags, It's time for the BONECLAVE!

DFix
07-16-2003, 02:24 PM
On vacation in NH

JimW
07-16-2003, 02:42 PM
I'll try to get a sign-up sheet together in the next few days.

FredA
07-16-2003, 02:56 PM
But Fluff, who'll carry the 4000 postmans' sticks?

Looking forward to this event.

DFix
07-16-2003, 03:25 PM
I'm certain some 'wannabe' will step up and volunteer -

Hell, what's the worst that can happen - I get fired??? :rolleyes:

Y'know what? - maybe he should carry his own sticks for a change - humbling as it may seem! He can wait 'till I get back from vacation! :eek:

striblue
07-16-2003, 04:26 PM
HHHHmmmm.... I will make this one ..I have the time.. I have no idea what sticks are ..I think They are Golf clubs... I will bring my Fly rod to this ..

TinMan
07-16-2003, 04:29 PM
Will Biff and Muffy be there?

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chronicles/boneclave2001/gallery/roll1/pages/a010_2.htm

doogue
07-16-2003, 04:50 PM
Tinman,

Those 2 guys aren't Biff and Muffy! Those guys are named Penguin and Hawkeye (don't be insulted guys).

Good dates for me! Sweeeet! Count me in for the BoneClave.

-Mike

Nick
07-16-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by doogue
Tinman,

Those 2 guys aren't Biff and Muffy! Those guys are named Penguin and Hawkeye (don't be insulted guys).

Good dates for me! Sweeeet! Count me in for the BoneClave.

-Mike

Sure he wasn't talking about the two "Park Rangers" who happened upon our feast? ;)

jfbasser
07-16-2003, 08:10 PM
Count me in! aka Steve Williams I will carry the Winstons:smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

Penguin
07-16-2003, 08:45 PM
Muffy!

...'may need some help with accessories and make-up!:razz:

ssully
07-16-2003, 10:28 PM
Don't need no stinkin sign up sheet! :D

IN!

juro
07-16-2003, 11:02 PM
Bad karma making fun of the hosts! Frankly I enjoyed their company. :D

FrenchCreek
07-16-2003, 11:31 PM
Looks like the stars are lining up just right so I might be able to make this one. I'll check on flights tomorrow AM.
Need to be sure about the dates, any chance they will change?

juro
07-17-2003, 05:54 AM
Awesome Pete!

No chance they will change - we made these reservations when the snow was piled high and spring was a faraway daydream. The sites sold out soon afterwards.

C'mon down!

juro
07-17-2003, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by ssully
Don't need no stinkin sign up sheet! :D

IN!

Although we do need signups to manage the capacity, the breakfast chefs, being working staff members, must attend.

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chronicles/boneclave2001/gallery/roll2/images/chefswithattitude.jpg

shadfreak
07-17-2003, 08:27 AM
Please sign me up if the signup sheet comes out next week while I am in Maine chasing fish. I won't have computer access to check in. I can't wait.
Larry

Dble Haul
07-17-2003, 08:30 AM
I have to bag out on this one because of the date. We're having a mega birthday party in Maine for my grandpa who's turning 80 that weekend.

Somebody please catch a few for me! I've been wanting to hit a Boneclave since I first heard about them a few years back...:(

Slinger
07-17-2003, 10:13 AM
Can someone post up the info on Washburn Island again? I believe it`s primative camping only with no open fires and limited access but I may be wrong. I think that it was posted last year when the island was closed.
Slinger

JimW
07-17-2003, 10:40 AM
Slinger,
It's primitive camping alright, but you'd never know it looking at the breakfast feast those guys whipped up.

Slinger
07-17-2003, 10:48 AM
Jim, nearly time to be at that place where you got that invisable albie last season. The bay has slowed to a trickle, time to break open that big box of surf candies.
Slinger

Lefty
07-17-2003, 11:31 AM
I ASSuME we have one of the group campsites (#9 I believe is the water one)? If we don't, we don't have a clave.

Juro, got tables? :chuckle:

I really hope this comes off. Hey Gregg, alert Papa Estey.

Striblue gonna make it? We can vote him off the island ya know.

DFix
07-17-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by jfbasser
Count me in! aka Steve Williams I will carry the Winstons:smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

Soft or Hard pack???:rolleyes: JF: better carry a soft lined bag - I don't think he'd want his 'fly rod' that he's 'bringing to this' banged around in the back of YOUR golfcart! :whoa: :smokin:

jfbasser
07-17-2003, 11:58 AM
Maybe I will have someone fashion fighting butt covers with little Striper heads on them. I may be busy though, based on Tiger's first hole on the first day at the British I could be giving him lessons.

DFix
07-17-2003, 01:11 PM
Nick, you were planning to take my spot in this anyway, weren't you??? :D

JF: Remember, always practice safe rod storage :hehe:

bcasey
07-17-2003, 05:06 PM
Details:

We have site #9 reserved for Friday, Aug.22nd thru Monday Aug.25th.

We also have site #11 reserved for Saturday and Sunday for overflow.

Site #9 is a waterfront local (same site as last time) and Site #11 is an inland location.

Check-in time is 1pm,and check-out is 11am.

Jim Whalen will post a sign-up sheet soon. Thanks Jim!

The only way to gain access to the island is by boat (unless your a GOOD swimmer) so, on the sign-up sheet, Please remember to state if you have a way out there or need to hitch a ride!

There are no facillities on the island except for a couple of Porta-Johns, no power,lights or running water. So leave those electric shavers at home:hehe:

Open Fires are NOT allowed, only contained portable stoves with a cover, using man-made fuel and charcoal grills are allowed!

Ticks are extermely tough this year so, check yourself regularly

Don't forget to bring RAIN GEAR, (I know, it never rains on Cape Cod) Check the pictures from the last couple of trips out here!

SUNSCREEN

Commonwealth regulation 304-12.05 prohibits alcoholic beverages on DEM property

We will need to start a "Who's Bringing What List", Let's give a couple of days for the sign-up to get going before we start that, but remember, our donation for attending this event will be what we put into making it a HUGE SUCCESS, so don't hold back! The cost of the sites has been covered by the Forum. LET'S GO NUTS!

Have I scared any of you off yet?:devil:

More to come soon, stay tuned !

PLEASE, If you have questions your not sure you should ask, PM me, Thanks

Lefty
07-18-2003, 10:18 AM
Case,
Great job. What a joy to not have to wrangle with getting the sites. Able and willing to help out anyway I can.

Lefty

JimW
07-18-2003, 11:47 AM
I nominate Lefty as equipment meister.

neac9
07-18-2003, 12:55 PM
Had a great time at last years hardtail calve hope to see all you guys again at this one?
And if I get skunked again there may be an equipment auction at the end.

bcasey
07-18-2003, 02:21 PM
neac9,
We set the date so that the idea of a skunkin should not even enter your mind, just make sure the knots are good and the reels are free wheelin or you may need and auction to be buying, not selling. Oh, and bring some bandaids for the knuckles!:D

Greg, thanks for the offer, during the last one of these I went to you were pretty busy, we will try to go easy on you this time!

Slinger
07-19-2003, 01:04 AM
One question, is this big boat water or will my little 16` semi vee be OK ?
Slinger

bcasey
07-19-2003, 09:28 AM
Slinger, as I recall we had someone showup in a canoe with a very small outboard engine. You may want to opt for a day out in another boat to travel the sounds, Vineyard and Nantucket, but your boat will be great for getting to the island, fishing in Waquoit Bay as well as just outside the entrance to the bay. The entrance is one of the areas where Bonito prowl regularly.
Also, having your own boat allows for much greater independance. you won't feel like you've been shipwrecked on the island! :whoa:

doug
07-21-2003, 05:29 AM
Sheesh...another Boneclave.....another one I can't make.....
Will try and stop by to say "hi", atleast to harass Ssully, Lefty, and gang.....probably Sunday morning.
Will be on Vineyard from 8/23 to 9-something.
Hope you guys have a blast and find some bones, too!
Doug B.

grego
07-21-2003, 02:54 PM
I'll Probably be A Day-Tripper This Year.

Also, here is the updated link to the out of date link for more BoneClave Pictures!

BoneClave 2001 Link (http://home.comcast.net/~owirka/boneclave2001.html)

Smcdermott
07-22-2003, 07:26 PM
I was able to clear some time in the wedding planning schedule so I am a go for Friday through Sunday.

Sean

Nick
07-23-2003, 07:24 AM
Sean, glad to hear you can make it. My PM box is clear BTW. I'll be there most of the weekend, if not the whole thing.

Nick

mikez
07-23-2003, 08:35 PM
Hey where's the sign up sheet?
Washburn Rules!
I still tell stories about that first trip there! Gonna be a hard act to follow.
Matthew has been looking forward to this year's trip since, well, since the ride home after last year's trip!
What is the boat situation? Are there any berths for one and a half landlocked fishermen?

Lefty
07-24-2003, 08:23 AM
Ya Mike. Glad you can make it. I'm sure we'll find you 2 a seat on various boats as it usually works out that way. I'll have my 14' jetty shuttle running too. Calm mornings and FAC days I nose out and fish Sucahoonagosit Shoal evan.

Lefty

bcasey
07-24-2003, 12:28 PM
Sorry guys, technical difficulties are preventing us from getting the sign-up sheet posted and the creator, JimW, is out of town. Juro is working on it and we hope to have it up soon. Please stand by and THANKS for your consideration of the less gifted computer users", (ME)!:o

craig
07-24-2003, 12:37 PM
I'll be there Friday thru Saturday, might be able to stay until Sunday, not sure yet.

Chris
07-24-2003, 04:06 PM
Pencil me in for the 23rd, 24th & 25th. This would be my first and it sounds like a blast. May have a boat if I come with my brother.
I'm still waiting to hear on a promotion I intervied for and whether or not I'll be around or in Virginia in training.

juro
07-24-2003, 04:12 PM
I hope to have this worked out by tonight or tomorrow am. The spots will be reserved on a first-come, first-served basis on the sign-up program not on this thread. Sorry about the delay but I am doing what I can. It will be up as soon as I am done.:eyecrazy:

TinMan
07-28-2003, 09:28 PM
Wedding party on the 23rd in Newport, trying to work something out. Sure would like to make it down. Everytime I look at those pics GregO took I have to get a sushi fix.