On The Bright Side... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: On The Bright Side...

NrthFrk16
07-07-2003, 10:39 PM
Many are singing doom and gloom this summer as it seems that our summer-runs have been few and far between for most this summer (myself included!) but when I pulled up the hatchery escapement report for the WDFW, I found that there are 74 summer-runs in the trap at Reiter yet on July 11th of last year, there were only 46 or so...

Hmmmmmm.... :confused: :confused:

flytyer
07-07-2003, 11:09 PM
Ryan,

The difference may very well be due to fewer people fishing fewer hours and fewer days because of how poor the fishing has been here in the Puget Sound. And we all know that fewer people fishing fewer hours and fewer days means more fish will make it to the hatchery.

fredaevans
07-08-2003, 08:54 AM
Washington (in particular streams that flow into Puget Sound). What's the general timing of the runs for the Stilly, Sky, et. al.

Most mid and southern Oregon streams start to show good numbers by the end of July through October.
fae

Just me
07-08-2003, 09:42 AM
The way the Sky gets pounded by the sled jockeys and the gear slingers, it's a wonder any fish get that far at all.

Jim

flytyer
07-08-2003, 11:23 AM
Fred,

The Stilly's Deer Creek fish historically peak around July 10th. The Stilly's hatchery fish usually begin showing in May with numbers increasing throughout the summer into early fall. Not sure about the Sky and Snoqualmie timing.

The upper Sky usually peaks in October.

fredaevans
07-08-2003, 12:21 PM
are far more spread out over the season than the typical So. Oregon run. We'll get a few fish in mid-June to mid-July, but usually not in any substantial numbers.

These fish also show a heck of a tendency to squirt up river as fast as their little tails can make them go. Haven't checked the Rogue fish counts in several days but, if they are to be believed, the "initial" run went through the counter and into the hatchery holding ponds (seperate posted count) in not much over a weeks time.

All-be-it can cause some confusion, having the Gold Rae count, and then the hatchery count (subtract one from the other) gives you some sort of idea how many of the buggers are out in the river.

fae