Flyfishing for summer steelhead?? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Flyfishing for summer steelhead??

fishinbyfly
07-07-2003, 07:07 PM
I would like to fish one of the coastal rivers of oregon but I would like some help on flies, places to fish etc. I have been flyfishing for about 2 years now so I should know most of the stuff. Just the flies and places for pretty good steelhead fishing.

D3Smartie
07-07-2003, 07:41 PM
North Umpqua with a Green-butt Skunk. Thats about it. :)

the rogue is also a good river for steelhead but they are mainly taken on nymphs and ugly bugs.

fredaevans
07-07-2003, 09:01 PM
And there is nothing more notable than one of these thingies stuck in a summer runs lower (or upper) lip. :smokin:

As 3d has mentioned the green butted skunk appears to be a fav. on the NU, but almost a 'zilch' here on the Rogue. Go figure?

If you do head down this way several board members are in the Medford/Ashland area and would be happy to provide info, etc., and etc. With a touch of luck and timing ... we all go out together.

It's a So. Oregon Thing.
:D

fishinbyfly
07-08-2003, 01:36 PM
Thats what I figured, Green butt skunk. So you know, we talked before. This is Geoff Pratt.......remember?? I might be bale to come down and meet up with you guys sometime soon. Need to talk to my dad and maybe we will come down and catch some steelies with you! Well talk to you later!

fredaevans
07-08-2003, 03:36 PM
on the initial post. If you do head this way, be sure to let me know.
fae

fishinbyfly
07-08-2003, 03:41 PM
Yes I will. I will take you up on the offer!:)

Just me
07-08-2003, 04:46 PM
Hey Fred. I got the info on that fly from a different site and tied a few of them up with no problem. But from fishing them they seem to work no better that what I've been using. Maybe I ought to go back over to the dark side to see what it is like to hook and play with the fishes. I've been trying the fly in Washington waters. I've been using it with a sinking leader. Is that wrong or should I be using it with a floating line and a long leader. Just asking.

Jim