Fishandfly@thomas and thomas.com [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fishandfly@thomas and thomas.com

fredaevans
07-05-2003, 12:51 PM
Anyone know who this is? Ask as he/she sent Joan and I a e mail a day or so ago (to the family e mail address) and it had more bug's and nasties that I can describe.

Our service provider pulled them out, etc. Wouldn't get too worked up about this other than the "thomas and thomas.com" part.
fae/jee

Willie Gunn
07-05-2003, 01:26 PM
Email about a broken T&T with a strange attachment, Mr Norton dealt with it.

Malcolm

fredaevans
07-05-2003, 01:55 PM
knowing contact with T and T. Good part of what got my eyebrows to raise.

Another thing is this is just the lastest of quite a string this week of e mails getting their clock cleaned. All the rest were from 'someone' I've never heard of prior to the nasty stuff.
fae

Mean Mr Mustard
07-05-2003, 02:22 PM
It gets even stranger: I received an emai from Flytyer addressed to Speybum about a broken T and T rod. Just one more reason to be careful about leaving your email address around for the spammers/virus terrorists. As I am VERY careful about this matter, I can only assume that they lifted my email address from either this site or ?. My virus program and email settings immediately quarantined this message which I deleted without opening.

Be careful as to ANY attachments, especially when they are not expected. This might have been a preliminary test of the expected July 6th activity that the media is reporting nationally.

mmm

Whiskey Dick
07-05-2003, 02:33 PM
mmm, i received the same e-mail and i also got one from the deschutesriverlodge.com that was a virus but McAfee caught it and disposed of it. I was getting a lot of spam but earthlink has justupgraded there spam blocker and it is stoping a lot of it getting through,tight lines,brian

juro
07-05-2003, 04:00 PM
MMM -

Your email CAN NOT be lifted from this site. It is not in any html code where it could be, in fact if you try to email someone you will never know what their email is either.

FYI

Mean Mr Mustard
07-05-2003, 04:38 PM
Juro,

The post was not to give FlyTalk a blackeye, rather to illuminate the potential for mischief by others using the interactions of members email contacts, etc. Yes, as I now recall, this site's email functions appear to be clean.

Still looking at how the culprit could link me with Russ and Aaron.

mmm

juro
07-05-2003, 05:40 PM
No shiner sustained, just an FYI as stated and of course, to correct your assumption that emails are exposed here.

2HandTheSalt
07-05-2003, 06:17 PM
This is one of those worm viruses. A worm drills down through the address book on someone's computer, then replicates itself and sends it to everyone in their list and so on and so on.

What this means is that it is highly unlikely that the virus originated at T & T, or on the computer of the person with the broken rod, but it did go through their e-mail address.

Which is a long way of saying that the only thing this e-mail proves, is that you know someone, who knows someone, who probably has a T & T fly rod.

flytyer
07-06-2003, 03:05 AM
Yep--

there have been a bunch of emails here at home and at work that have been quaranteened this past week.

MMM,

I had the same one you refer to sent to me supposedly by Aaron! The rod in question was broken in February and returned in March. Needless to say, I deleted this email immediately without opening it.

speybum
07-06-2003, 05:47 PM
I got the Virus during the Comcast change over it locked up out look express so it would not open your mail box to receive mail just transmit resends infected e-mails.
I have been getting all sorts of weird thing but Norton and most will not work on it.
It is a worm knows as the BUGBEARA and randomly attaches it to e-mail files.
This is second time for me I have had use http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ this time to try to rid my home site of it.

By using the mailbox outside of your browser you can get the need help imported to you computer.

I hope this helps