Bayside, 7/4 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Bayside, 7/4

FredA
07-04-2003, 10:56 AM
Not a good start. Overslept and didn't get to the beach until 7:00am. Forgot my sunglasses. Forgot my pliers. Thought about just going home and getting some rest. But it was overcast so the glasses I could get by without. Early hit got me interested. Wading knee deep fish started darting away from me. went to sand/ankle deep and saw fish. Made a 15 ft cast in front of a passing fish, bang. Nice 27" schoolie to restore some confidence. This continued for the remainder of the drop, with fish up against the beach. Amazed that I could see fish for some distance once tuned in. Also a lot of boils and tails. Looks like they are bulking on sandeels with deserts consiting of nickel to quater sized crabs and 1 cm baby clams that are all over the place. Not big fish, but arm toggling 20"+ fish rather than the dinks we'd been catching the last couple of days.

Talked to Dave on my way off the beach and he indicated I should have stayed for the flood yesterday. He had nothing under 24" and fish to the mid thirties. The fish are in a much more cooperative mood than they were earliar in the week and things are like the best of last year with an bundance of schoolies on the drop and bigger fish on the flood. Sunday looks ideal with a mid day low and the whole day to fish, but looks like a fronts commin through that will probably shut down.

bgabel
07-06-2003, 11:36 PM
FredA,
I am looking for some spots to try out on the Cape the last week of July and it looks like you have found one. Would you be so kind as to point me in some direction. This is still new to me and the Cape is still a bit overwhelming to me, so any tips would help out greatly! Thanks in advance.

juro
07-07-2003, 04:47 AM
Fred -

I experienced a similar willingness of the fish on the other side of the cape on 7/4. Slight dinginess to the day, yet fish were as grabby as I've ever seen them in July. Started with one fly on the surf side and never took it off as they kept ripping it all the way back to the boat landing, which is unusual and unlike the lull we'd seen since the weekend before.

bgabel -

As far as spots, best thing to do is try to hook up with us when you arrive. Posting hotspot specifics has only made things worse in the past, but we are all about camaraderie. When are you in town?

bgabel
07-07-2003, 03:09 PM
Juro,

That would be great if we could hook up when I get up there if that is what you meant! I will be with three friends that are also very new so that might be a lot, but if you are up for it that would be great! At the very least maybe we could all meet up for a beer and talk fishing. I will be able to fill you in on the Aruba details first hand. If you are up for that send me a private message and we can work out the details.

Penguin
07-07-2003, 03:44 PM
Is hire the services of a shore guide for the day...
Or you can wander around trying to reinvent the wheel...
...trying to figure out where to go, what fly to use, etcetcetc.
I've heard (from reliable sources) that Juro is a good bet!!!
Consider it an "investment" in success...
...firm up a date and enlist the services of someone who can make your visit one to remember...

Woulda'Coulda'Shoulda'
Support FFF sponsors!
JUST DO IT!