Fred E--N. Umpqua--how was it? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fred E--N. Umpqua--how was it?

SparseHairHackl
07-03-2003, 11:53 PM
Title says it all--

I'm thinking about a quick trip coming end of next week, and am curious how you and others did, and where all you fished.

--Bill

fredaevans
07-04-2003, 02:37 AM
But very few fish up to the Glide-Susan Creek campground area as of last week. The trip is worth the trip ... even if low probability of fish. If it's 'hard core' fishing you're looking for, I'd recommend you give the Blue Heron fly shop a buzz and check out the who, what, where and when.

Fred

SparseHairHackl
07-04-2003, 12:40 PM
Wow--a bit surprising. I hooked one roughly 10 miles up from Susan Creek a couple weeks ago (wicked grab of the waker), and there were already 40 fish in the oversummering pool up Steamboat Creek at that time.

Maybe there was an early slug of fish and then a pause. I was hoping the early fish meant for a nice run.

Is there any speyfishing for steelhead that isn't 'hard core'? <g>

--Bill

fredaevans
07-04-2003, 12:50 PM
then a pause. Very few cars in the fly fishing area the day Joan and I drove the river, but it was a late weekday. Blue Herron owner (Sorry, I've forgotten the Gentleman's name.) was saying that the river tends to see the fishing pressure go up after the 4th, but they won't be fishing over much for a couple of weeks after that.

Reminds me, I've still got to do a Windchester Dam web site search to see if they post numbers.
fae

WINCHESTER DAM: Counts through June 15 include 17,104 spring chinook and 1,176 summer steelhead. - This is from an Org. Wildlife web site, and the 'best' I've found so far. On the same date the upper Rogue's count was 25,106/116.
fae

loco_alto
07-04-2003, 01:10 PM
Fred - can you provide the link with Winchester numbers?

fredaevans
07-04-2003, 03:28 PM
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/ODFWhtml/RecReports/south.htm

several sheets of reference points in google, but most of them very dated material. The above one was as close as I could get to something that even had 2003 numbers.
fae

New Spey
07-06-2003, 11:34 AM
I fished the NU over the weekend. I didn't see any steelhead, but did hear of
a few being caught. The guys that said they hooked the fish said they were getting them on greenbutt skunks. They had been fishing since tuesday.

There was a major hatch of golden stones out, so I put on a big stimulater Friday night. Big trout were rising on the far bank and I was able to reach it with my spey rod. I started hooking 14 to 15 inch rainbows and cutthroats . I was surprised how fun these trout were on the spey rod. I thought it would just over match them, but they gave good account of themselves even against the big rod.

I heard there are now 85 fish up in the hole on Steamboat Creek. I wonder if the fish just shot straight up there and may be will move back down as the water warms up there.

Terry

fredaevans
07-06-2003, 03:15 PM
on last week. Joan and I are headed back in a couple of days. The weather won't be quite as nice (assuming you like weather in the high 90's and low 100's!!!:whoa: ) But it will make fishing a lot more enjoyable.

Sounds like you had a similar experience in hooking large trout; that was one of the highlights of the trip last week. I'll be bring a 5 and a 6 wt spey/switch rods specificly set up to chase these buggers.
fae

fredaevans
07-06-2003, 03:27 PM
Just found this one; info looks good and appears to be kept current. Like the stream flow data part.
fae

http://www.westfly.com/cgi-bin/snapshot_or_numpqua

roballen
07-06-2003, 05:40 PM
Fred.. gentelman is a perfect term and his name is Joe Howell.

fredaevans
07-06-2003, 09:01 PM
Gather he's been on location in his shop for over 20 years. You don't do that unless folks have a very good reason to continue to "drop the dime."

Looking forward to seeing him in a couple of days ... assumeing Joan gets off her duff and gets organized. Why is it that a guy can get ready for a weeks fishing trip in 30 minutes. The Ladies ....

well I won't go there.
:devil:

BobK
07-07-2003, 07:32 AM
You just gotta understand the differences -

Guy- Rod, reel, vest, hat, waders and boots, foul weather jacket, camping gear, couple of cans of chili, case of beer, jug of Scotch. Done.

Gals - Is it going to be hot? What if it gets cool? Or rains? Oh, my, shall I pack shorts, or slacks, or jeans - maybe a sweater and a sweatshirt. Should I wear sneaks or what? Oh, dear, I don't have a thing to wear! I'd better go shopping.

And for meals - let me see - what's an appropriate wine? What entrees should I have? Which dishes shall we take? I've got to go grocery shopping, too!

Now, what will I do? Who else is bringing their wife? Maybe I should get myself a couple of new books. What are some good titles? Should I take some cards in case the girls want to play bridge?

Ad nauseum.

So, you see, it's a lot different for the gals - their "agenda" is either "different" or "warped" - I haven't figured out which.

BobK - a rational observer -:rolleyes:

fredaevans
07-07-2003, 08:58 AM
"You're mistaking me for someone who gives a ..." once.
:eek:

fae

BobK
07-07-2003, 12:53 PM
Now THAT'S a classic "STUPID" mistake! (Inside joke) :devil:

Glad you had the good sense to only say it once!

BobK:hehe:

fredaevans
07-07-2003, 01:15 PM
be alive today to type this response.
:D

loco_alto
07-07-2003, 09:33 PM
my weekend N. Umpqua report: I hooked, played, and lost a nice one on my third cast - then blanked for the rest of the weekend with nary another bite. I too took some nice cutts on top, using a muddler.

Other highlights include a full frontal dunking, snapping my Sage 8150 with 110' of line out, checking out the Apple fire legacy, and finding a few new spots that hold obstinate steelhead

fredaevans
07-07-2003, 10:35 PM
Liked the first few words ... then down hill ......

Yuck.
fae

loco_alto
07-07-2003, 11:12 PM
considering that this was how I spent my anniversary - and that it was my wife's idea - I can't really complain. Wifey fished the stonefly hatch for trout and caught more than her fill.

SparseHairHackl
07-08-2003, 12:23 AM
A most excellent anniversary, to be sure...

I'm very sorry to hear about your 8150. I've heard some people don't like that rod, but I loved it the only chance I had to cast one. Hopefully it gets repaired quickly.

Your steelhead report sounds almost exactly like my experience 2 weeks ago. First run, the biggest yank I've ever had. Surprising, since it was on a waker--I figure the fish took it after it passed and was going downstream when hooked. Unfortunately, I yanked back (I always screw up the first fish of the year) and broke it off (10 lb Maxima!) after just a few seconds.

After that, no other hookups the rest of the weekend. I thought I rose some other steelhead, but no way to be sure.

Good luck with your rod!

--Bill

fredaevans
07-14-2003, 10:31 AM
Back last night from several more days on the NP. Water is still gin clear and down a tad from the week before. Still not a lot in the way of fresh fish, and those seem to be primarily holding in the immediate area of Swiftwater park.

Gear guys are still hammering them left and right. Only two fish for a lot of casting (one on a GB skunk, the other on a 'cigar bomber' floater. First was released, .... the second a "long range release.") A few additional "tugs" which I couldn't connect to, and a few dinks but that was about it. Local word has it that the fish, in numbers, are expected around Aug. 1st.

The one bit of very good news was I took my "Streamcleats" over shoe alum. bar boots and put them over the Chota's. Zero problem moving around over the bottom of the river. After the first morning I even dispenced with the wading staff. Streamcleats cost about $50.00 and are the best life insurance policy you can buy for this river.

fae

fredaevans
07-15-2003, 01:57 AM
Wacked the heck out of the water over the last 5 days; two fish.

One to hand on a green butted skunk, the other was a long range release on a small 'cigar' high floater. Most of the fish appear to still be holding in the immediate area of Swiftwater. Locals info suggests fish are a bit late this year and good numbers are expected the end of July-early August.

This appears to be matching up with the upper Rogue 'reports.'

fae

jcc_00
07-17-2003, 03:51 PM
Fred
was the cigar shaped dry fly a bomber style, palmered and tuffed at one or both ends? Have you ever tried any real small shrimp pattern wets? Just wondering what to load up with before heading out in a few weeks. I like to have back-up unusual stuff to experiment with ....

fredaevans
07-17-2003, 04:25 PM
the middle ... but not by much. The eye end also has two tufts of stiff hair to help with the waking aspect of the fly. These are half the size of Waller Walker, etc., so are very easy to cast even with a 7136. Edit time: the body also has a sparse red feather palmer; purchased the fly either at the Steamboat Inn 95% probability as I bought several at the same time or the BH. Price was only $1.95 so had no complaint with that number as I've given up on tying these sob's.

Not sure exactly what to recommend on patterns as the 'tugs/takes,' save for the one on the floater were all small (size 6-8) black patterns. Sorry to say did zero on the Rogue Fav., aka the Otis bug.
fae