Bayside, 7/2 & 7/3 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Bayside, 7/2 & 7/3

FredA
07-03-2003, 11:12 AM
Started out to the creek yesterday but fish along the beach caugt our interest and we proceded to catch a bunch small guys on the wade out. Talked to a guy that went right to the creek and very large tails were sticking up but he could not interest them in his offerings. Shoulda followed the premonition and got out to the creek. On the flood lots of fish sighted with good fish in the mix. Excellent sight fishing conditions but the good fish had no interest in various sandeel, crab patterns or sluggo's. The fish were rolling on there side and pickin stuff off the bottom and paying no attention to the wall to wall sandeels. Never saw so much bait in the water. Last year at this time when I was having some success with the sight fishing they were also grubbing and had the sweetest red lips.

Today I got out to the creek first thing. A bit early on the drop, not much in the way of life forms. I got impatiant and started working back down the beach. Caught the same assortment of schoolies (small but footballs, obviously bulking up on sandeels). Towards the bottom had fish swimming through my legs. Wind got tough out of the west. Found I needed to get on dry sand because they were right against the shore. Mix of size but, again tough to present something that interest them. Think I need to tie some shrimpy lookin flys.

grego
07-03-2003, 05:04 PM
Fred, Check your PMs