The UK's Flyfishing ForumS (with an 's') is no more! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: The UK's Flyfishing ForumS (with an 's') is no more!


fredaevans
07-02-2003, 05:27 PM
Many of us contributed on a regular basis to this England based web board; loved the Brit's, Scot's, et. al's view points on what was happening across the "Pond."

Their terms for many types of fishing were a huge hoot and in several cases required I/We post to request a "translation." Good folks, I'm going to miss them.
fae

juro
07-02-2003, 09:20 PM
Fred -

Any idea what happened? I'd like to offer to host them as part of the Forum family! What do you think?

striblue
07-02-2003, 09:29 PM
I saw that too... they say that the "fin and feathers" I think that's the main site or words to that effect will stay but the FFForum, with an (s) at the end is finished.

fredaevans
07-02-2003, 11:34 PM
This board seemed to have hundreds of regular subscribers and could be a great meld into the "Mother Board." Malcom (Willie Gun) appeared to be a charter member; he may be able to give "us" an in to contacting the board master.

fae

Juro, I re-read my responce and noted I didn't answer your question. I'd have to say time and $ as my first guess.

Steelheader69
07-03-2003, 12:05 AM
I've been on that board for about 2-3 years actually. Think Fred got there by accident (you added an S to the end, didn't you???).

What happened is Simon (the owner) was overwhelmed with the board and running his website. Just couldn't handle it all, and didn't want the board to slack. So he shut her down. Was pretty sudden too. He made it a "read only" with minimal responses to some newer threads. Then shut her all the way down. There is a new board that Simon had everyone filter over to. You missed your calling Juro. ;) Just a second too late. I had no idea until it happened. Guess it was one of the board members started up one and Simon simply told everyone to head over that way. If you want Fred, I can give you the link via email. If you want Juro, I can also talk to Simon and see what he thinks. May be able to make a link still on what's left of the old board. But there is a new BB open. Not quite the same though, but alot of familiar names.

Willie Gunn
07-03-2003, 07:19 AM
Steelheader 69 explained everything very well.

Laws in the UK are slightly but signifigantly different than over there. Simon had had problems with less than 1% of the members but this was talking up 99% of his time.

The new board will eventually settle down to be like the old, I hope, once the new kids get sick of playing with all the smilies different coloured inks and avators.

I'm starting to sound like an old grump. I hate change.

Malcolm

fredaevans
07-03-2003, 03:39 PM
off to get my self 're-registered.'
fae

And I can believe how 1% (the bad apple idea) can screw it up for the other 99%. :mad:

Steelheader69
07-04-2003, 02:12 AM
You know I'm a mod on another site. When I was asked to mod, first thing I did was to go back through all the archives of the mod forum. There was ONE guy who was the main post in like 90% of the complaints. He finally got himself busted for good and got banned. But it was funny how 6 mods had to work on 1 guy most of the time. Makes life hard. And since Simon was pretty much handling it all by himself, I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did.

Still SH69 there, so can't miss me. :D

fredaevans
07-04-2003, 02:33 AM
faced with the same situation. Many of the posters there can be pretty 'rough and tumble' in their attitudes, language, etc., but this individual appears to have been a standout.

After his sign in had been banned apparently he's sent several e mails to Bob ... how shall we say? ... expressing his opinion of the action? Nut cake just can't get the idea through his head that the internet may be 'free to all comers, ' but your not free to enter someone's private property (the web site) and type in anything you wish with impunity.

fae

Dutch
07-04-2003, 02:19 PM
Hi, a great British alternative site could be:
fish4ituk.co.uk
This is a fairly new site, hosted by a guy from Wales.
It looks friendly, informative.
Give it a go if you want....
Hans.