Tube fly Material from Napa Auto Parts [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Tube fly Material from Napa Auto Parts

Philster
07-01-2003, 09:13 PM
Well, I've been frustrated trying to find good material, and after Kush described the black air brake tubing He's using I decided to just push hard until I got through to the guy behind the counter. Well, I finally broke through!

It is manufactured by Phillips and it is part number 11-125, 1/8" J-844 Nylon tubing. The reason I haven't ever been able to get it is that apparently 1/8th inch is not very popular so they've never had it in stock. They ordered it for me, and I am now the proud owner of 100 feet of the stuff for $11.

Kush is right, it is awesome to tie on, but you will have to weight it or slide a bead on your leader if you want to grease line it or it will plane up under very little tension, which is a problem that exists with commercial plastic tubes too. It holds a size 4 or 6 hook like a dream!

Thanks Kush, and I hope this helps somebody else who's been having trouble finding good material.

Bruce Wright
07-01-2003, 11:15 PM
In truck shop talk , 1/8" air line is called "spagetti line" don't screww with the auto parts store , go right to Kenworth , Freightliner and the such they will have megga in stock . it is used for air shift controlls . Later Bruce

nevada caster
07-03-2003, 11:34 PM
I have on occasions been able to get a white or clear version, and black. The black also comes in 1/4 inch. If you heat it gently over the buner of a gas stove and stretch it, you can get most of the coil out of it. I prefer the white/clear since it is slightly more flexible and it is easier to get the eye of a hook into it.