Partner for Beartooth/Winds Backpacking [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Partner for Beartooth/Winds Backpacking

beartooth91
06-27-2003, 07:43 PM
Hi Folks,

Looking for a flyfishing/backpacking partner to share costs, ride, and high mountain trout adventure on an August or September trip to Montana's Beartooth Mountains or Wyoming's Wind River Range. I've been going to the Beartooths for 12 years, but, am getting tired of going it alone. I live in SE Ohio. Email if interested.
Mark
mbarrett@earthlink.net

mcutchin
06-29-2003, 06:14 AM
Mark,

I'm jealous, but babies in diapers will keep me out of the running for such a fine excursion. I lived within sight of the Beartooths for a couple of years (Boulder Valley, Montana), and did quite a bit of hiking up there. Never fished the Wind River range but always wanted to. What part of the Beartooths have you fished?

Hope you find and partner and have a great trip.

Marshall

beartooth91
06-29-2003, 05:56 PM
Hi Marshall,

Looks like you lived up on the north end - maybe in the Big Timber or Columbus area (?). I'll bet you've been up to the Lake Plateau area or maybe even Lightning Lake. I've never been to the northern part of the Beartooths, but, there's a slew of lakes up there that I've always wanted to fish - Squeeze, Narrow Escape, and the entire chain of lakes on Flood Creek below Pinchot.
All of my hiking has been in the southern portion, on trailheads out of Beartooth Hwy 212 between Colter Pass and the Beartooth Pass. Most hikes I do out of the Clay Butte - Beartooth Lake - Island Lake area.
I've only been to the Winds once - in '93, but, am getting the itch to go back and chase trophy Golden Trout.
It would've been great if you were able to go.

Mark
mbarrett@earthlink.net

mcutchin
06-29-2003, 07:39 PM
Yes, Mark, the Big Timber area. I lived in the Boulder valley for a couple of blessed years. I never actually got to fish any of the lakes on the plateau, but hiked and/or mountain biked extensively in the area east of the Boulder. There's just too damn much beauty there for one person's lifetime. And of course the fishing south of Big Timber is incredible and doesn't stop for a couple hundred miles.

Look forward to hearing a report if you feel like sending one when you get back.

Marshall