Fly Fishing Forum banner

Teton -Trinity - Galvan Reels

4K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  tequilatrout 
#1 ·
Hi everyone:

I own a Galvan Ob-3 and I love it, smooth and great performance and value for the money. Now I want to buy a N.8 LA Reel and I like the Tioga #8 Limited Edition Anniversary Reel with Extra Spool, it's about 200 bucks. But i also like the Trinity that is about 260 with an extra spool and of course the Galvan OB-6, that it's more expensive: 430. I'm going to use it for Bonefish, Small Barracuda, Snook and Largemouth Bass. What do you think about the 3 reels? Any experience in saltwater? "You get what you pay for" The Galvan? (230 extra)

Thank's in advance

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Well I can tell you what I know about Tioga reels and because I am an extreme Beatles fan, you might tell me how I can get a little yellow submarine of my own. How about it?

I have used Tioga reels for the past several years for freshwater fly-fishing and find that I like them more and more. I currently own 5 and would like to pick up a couple more for my trout rods, though they may be overkill for such a fishery. They are, in my estimation, the single best buy in ff gear. Great drag and quality materials/construction.

So I didn't have a lot to say except that I have a few. That speaks for itself, IMHO.

As to the others, I have never seen nor heard anything about them. Sorry.

mmm

#3 ·
You might want to take a look at the Lamson Velocity. I beleive it's in the same price range with the Teton. Incredible drag and ZERO MAINTENANCE. Don't even have to clean it because all of the parts are sealed - very desirable attribute for a SW reel.

For me, rim control is a must for a SW reel so the Teton was out of the question.

G
#7 ·
Well if I could catch the little sucker...

I agree that the Lamson is a fine reel but so is the Tioga for le$$. I have no problem using the rim for additional braking.

They it goes again; boy that sub is quick. :smokin:

mmm

#9 ·
Ok thanks. I'm going to be in LA, I can go to Bob Marriotts to see what they have.

JDJones: I have a program that it's call GetSmile, but you can find a lot of gif's on the web.

Mr.Mustard: I still looking the yelow submarine but maybe The Kid is right, "Maybe its a whale"

I can send you all of my Beatles gif's via email if you want

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.