Big Black Flatwing !!! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Big Black Flatwing !!!

saltydog
06-25-2003, 04:48 PM
WELL everyone knows I do BIG flies an heres a BIG BLACK FLATWING. I had some big jungle cock eyes so I put them to use. I know it NOT (scocha) but here it is.
hook 4/0 schlappen feathers 3-6" long black
purple bottom
purple, green,blue, flash MIXED
black back
jungle cock eyes. I tied this one up for me for NIGHT FISHIN. hope you like it. if NOT thats ok I DO.
" GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN"
:smokin:

BigDave
06-25-2003, 05:01 PM
Thats a beauty!

Sprocket
06-26-2003, 09:26 AM
looks like a cross reference to my latest reoprt - I'll take 6!
Nice work

striblue
06-26-2003, 11:00 AM
Nice Rich..also looks like a Lefty's Deceiver.... did you tye the wings on top, flat...I can not tell from the picture. I am doing some research on who and when the Flat Wings were originated by.

saltydog
06-26-2003, 02:02 PM
JOHN, YES FLAT on top,just like the big blue I did befor.
SPROKET. Ill do up 12 more 1/0 254's a will hold them for winter swap!;)
BIG DAVE, thank you!
"GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN":smokin:

joe wojtan
06-26-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by striblue
Nice Rich..also looks like a Lefty's Deceiver.... did you tye the wings on top, flat...I can not tell from the picture. I am doing some research on who and when the Flat Wings were originated by.

John
My God i can see it now, A controversy is buiding up, The Great Godfather, KA now seems to take all the bows for the Flatwing.
If he reads this Link, we are in for some heated discussions.
I for one, an really looking forword to your research,hope it doesn't take too long.
For some unknown reason this guy really bugs me, he seems to be a know it all, when it comes to fly tying.
I'm in youur corner.
Joe

striblue
06-26-2003, 11:56 PM
Joe..forget it... I don't think we need to get involved with any controversies... I have had enough to last a lifetime. I am looking at the origination of several common patterns and we know KA did not originate the Flat Wing which he knows as well but he has popularized it far more than the orginal tyers. the same can be said of certain Tarpon flys...so lets keep it above board. That being said I appreciate your feelings though.