Bayside, 6/24, He Did the Mash... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Bayside, 6/24, He Did the Mash...

FredA
06-24-2003, 04:38 PM
...on the bow. the Monster mash that is.

Went out with my cousin on the auction charter with Capt. Art. Hit various locations between Barnstable and Brewster. Lots of schoolies and blues caught and many shots at nicer fish. I continue to find my self tangled in line on the deck and dancing around with the smallest perbutation of the water. Utter incompetence with this fishin fro a boat. But I'll get it eventually.

Larger fish were either too deep in the column at some locations such that your fly would be snatched by a schoolie or blue or they were super spooky on the shallow flats.

All in all it was a great day and Art had us in position to score throughout.

doogue
06-24-2003, 07:08 PM
Fred,

I always either:

1. Fish with my stripping basket while on a boat

2. Use one of those garbage can looking things that Penguin has on his boat. Those weighted bottom cans are awesome for keeping your line away from your size 13 shoes.

Nice report.

-Mike

Penguin
06-24-2003, 09:39 PM
Your pheet are so big and das boot is so small!
I'd give the basket/bucket a try!...
Oar, you can simply install some of those wind-surfer foot thingamabobs that lock you pheet to the phloor...:hehe:

DeckDancing is OK but dropping the line over the side and into the waiting prop-o-matic is a real show-stopper!

FredA
06-24-2003, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the advise Pete. Where you been? Stop over for a beer sometime.

Striper
06-25-2003, 12:19 AM
Pengy,
The line in the propsky has always been my altime favorite, and after several lines gone the way of the saltwater food processor you would think I would have learned by now. :D :D . I just live with stepping on the line, I just can't get used to wearing the bucket on the boat and something even bigger just sounds like a waste of space. I especially love to step on my line just as the Albies blow up right on my bow 10ft. away. Plus the factory guy's need to make a stupid flyline because mine is much too well educated for my liking, no matter what I do that damn line will find something to wrap around at the worst possible time.:hehe: Pete I need to get up there and fish BAD! If I could only find a job so that I could call in sick and come up and fish with you guy's.

Tightlines,
Mike Mayo

Nick
06-25-2003, 08:08 AM
Barefoot always works for me, I can tell when I'm on the line then.

nick

DFix
06-25-2003, 09:30 AM
:rolleyes:

As enticing as it sounds to process lines through either the grape press foot mash or three-blade saltwater processing method, I read an article in some mag recently about:

A circular, collapsible rubbish bag frame, made by Rubbermaid, which the author adapted to act as a stripping basket. Article says frame doesn't completely stand up on it's own, so he added a couple rod piece stiffeners; weight bottom with hose filled with sand or sinkers, add on bungee loops to grab recessed cleats, etc. Article says "purchased at (insert 'Bullseye' Logo named store here)."

Sunday last, whilst chasing down materiel to finish the camp floor, I hunted for the Rubbermaid - not to be found.

HOWEVER!!! :D

FISKARS (The really awesome scissor manufacturers that make the neatest pair of fine ended nipping scissors that you could ever want and just gotta have at ten bucks or under, available at your favorite Blue Discount Emporium or Red Craft Store - Thank You, Juro!:) MAKES a equivalent collapsible rubbish bag holder; $12.99 at the Bullseye.

This item consists of a concertina style spring wire and rigid opening hoop connected to tarpaulin type plastic fabric, closed bottom, toggle bungee keepers for storage. Found in the Garden Supply section of the store. Didn't bother looking in the orange Home Improvement Warehouse or Blue Discount Emporium after finding this at the Bullseye outfit.

As I am a principal dancer in the Miposian Dance of Joy Troupe (Bow Dancers and Line Stompers) I think this portable baby will lessen my chances of tying my toes up from now on - I hope. :chuckle:

Sprocket
06-25-2003, 02:53 PM
Praytell King Curmudgeon & Juro the Spey Guru - what do these magical nippers look like? If it's a must-have item then have it I must!

Are they so useful that I shall know them when I see them?

Bow Dances with Flylines

DFix
06-25-2003, 03:43 PM
Check this Forum/Thread

Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here

Three seasons of synthetic snipping bliss - Fiskars

There's even a picture!!!

Sprocket
06-25-2003, 03:52 PM
Oh yeah, those - got 'em. I thought there was some new fangled tippet nipper dealie I couldn't live without...

Fiskars in general have good stuff, I just retired a pair of scissors I splayed somewhere along the way...gotta get a replacement now.

DFix
06-25-2003, 04:09 PM
I just retired a pair of scissors I splayed somewhere along the way...gotta get a replacement now

(probably tried some dumb Novi trick like pot warp with em) :hehe: