Just Out! Striblue's Feather Brain Article [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Just Out! Striblue's Feather Brain Article

Broadbill
06-24-2003, 03:51 PM
My July/August issue of Fly Fishing in Salt Waters arrived today. There, on page 26, is Striblue's promised fly-tying how-to, entitled "The Feather Brain." It's part of the magazines regular "Fly Tier's Bench" Department.

Striblue, using his legal John Morin byline, leads readers through a five-step process--and stresses the notion of the fly's natural appearance viewed from any direction. Five good photos (from Jay Horton?) complete the story.

Great job and congratulations, John.

Dble Haul
06-24-2003, 04:01 PM
Yeah! Way to go John!

May many more of your patterns find their way into the pages of magazines.

I'll take a dozen flies in the most productive colors. :p

2HandTheSalt
06-24-2003, 04:04 PM
Congrats to John, but not my pics.

Mine were approved by the editor, then killed somewhere in the production channel, ( Like nearly everything I have done for them in the last 2-years:mad:

striblue
06-24-2003, 05:26 PM
Thanks Guys ...and Jay..I thought your pictures were great and you worked hard at it too... The pics for the Flounder and crab needed to be done again...but I will send them not photo'd into the Mag but in the actual tying steps... those two are for "FlyTyer" magazine in the fall.

BigDave
06-24-2003, 05:30 PM
Congrats Stri! Way to go!

FredA
06-24-2003, 07:54 PM
You gonna autograf my copy? Great job John.

striblue
06-24-2003, 09:37 PM
Here is a picture of the fly I took at Jay's house while tying it for the article. I STILL don't have a copy..this is killing me and the web site for the mag does not have it yet either.

Penguin
06-24-2003, 09:42 PM
JohnnyScissorhandz strikes again!

If you need more photos, just gimme' a call!

'Will work for phood!

FrenchCreek
06-24-2003, 10:12 PM
Way to Go John....
I'll have to find the mag around here, if not, I'll get someone to mail me a copy...

Slinger
06-25-2003, 01:32 AM
Can I get an auto graph? Always wanted to know a celeb! Seriously, an outstanding job, I told you when you previewed the first one, "this is gonna be big time". Fish tested , they agree.
Slinger

FishHawk
06-25-2003, 05:42 AM
Nice to see the Iron Man in print. Glad a Forum Member has gained some fame. FishHawk:D

striblue
06-25-2003, 01:06 PM
It is nice to get these comments from all of you ....

Nick
06-25-2003, 01:51 PM
I was all bummed out when I didn't get my copy in the mail last night! Maybe tonight. Congrats John, can't wait to read it.

saltydog
06-25-2003, 02:23 PM
JOHN, congrats I like that fly!:)
'GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN":smokin:

2HandTheSalt
06-25-2003, 04:32 PM
Let's see if we can destroy my ISP with this.

This is a .bmp file of John's fly, suitable for framing on your Windows desktop.

Right-clidk the link, " Save Target as," save it to your drive, C:/Windows, then go to your desktop, right click to, " Properties, then hit the, " Desktop," tab and select the file, " Featherbrain."

Warning, this file is 2.5 MB, so chubby pipes are an asset.

http://www.haydenreels.com/featherbrain.bmp

This pic was rejected for not being sharp enough to blow up to 2" wide!

Enjoy!

Broadbill
06-25-2003, 05:54 PM
Jay -

I can see variations in the milling on the knurling on the vise head, never mind every barbule on Striblue's fly. And your background helps the fly "read" better. As a sometime editor myself, I can't explain the capriciousness of the breed. Sorry your images didn't see print this time. I've never seen a shot of yours, including the avian stuff, that I didn't like. It's a shame that FFinSW didn't publish a two-fer--John's article and your pics. Don't stop shooting.

2HandTheSalt
06-25-2003, 06:58 PM
Thanks BB, and forgive, me, I didn't mean to hi-jack the thread with my griping, I actually thought it was funny that the photo editor said my pics were too soft to blow up for the layout.

So let's talk about John's success instead of my gripe, and again, my apologies.

I scanned and e-mailed the story to John, so at least now he has seen it.

fishheadfred
06-25-2003, 10:25 PM
it's been said before, but congrats, Stri, and thanks for the advice on the striper flies!

chris h.

juro
06-25-2003, 11:47 PM
Hmmm.... at 5,280 feet each, I wonder how many miles of thread have passed thru John's bobbins?

Well John, what can I say! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

striblue
06-26-2003, 08:19 AM
Juro... don't forget we have one project we need to complete this summer... The Cape Cod Section for Bob Veverka's next book project... with fly descriptions... and the Deep eel is is one of the flys. I will start it next week after we talk.

Tod D
06-26-2003, 08:59 AM
What's this? Got my head buried at work, suddenly look up... and John's flies are everywhere!

Excellent article John - beautiful fly and, to me, an all-around inspirational story!

Do I read correctly that you're working on some stuff for Bob Ververka's new book? Nice

DFix
06-26-2003, 01:24 PM
Congratulations on your well-deserved recognition and efforts to enhance our enjoyment of fly-fishing.

Looking forward to your continuing contributions. :smokin:

rooster
06-26-2003, 06:38 PM
Hey John,
Congrats on the recognition. I am still working on duplicating your shrimp pattern.
7/18 Cape Weekend is looking like it might happen, I'll alert the Penguin!
Cheers,
DK

2HandTheSalt
06-29-2003, 08:57 AM
If anyone else would like that desktop of striblue's fly, please take it soon, as I will be removing the file from my server in the next 24-48 hours for bandwidth reasons.

Thanks.

Doc Duprey
06-29-2003, 10:55 AM
John,

Just outstanding! Really happy to see your work in print, and am looking forward to more. A section in a Ververka book? Be still, my heart!

Jay,

I suggest that the editor of FFSW have a visit to an optometrist and soon. That ws one heck of a picture and now adorns by desktop. Many, many thanks.

Best regards,

-Doc

2HandTheSalt
06-29-2003, 04:29 PM
No, no, no, the editor approved the pics, they got rejected further downstream, but I shouldn't have said anything about it.

Thanks for the good words, though...