Monomoy Bait & morning walks [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Monomoy Bait & morning walks

Jim Miller
06-23-2003, 12:03 PM
Hi Guys
I'm taking the family to Chatham for 4 days this coming weekend.
I hope to get in some EARLY morning walks w/ flyrod. What kind and size bait are you seeing (inside and ocean side). We are staying on Chatham inlet.......has the walk from the lighthouse to S. Beach been worthwhile? Any info is much appreciated.
Best Fishes

juro
06-23-2003, 12:38 PM
This coming weekend will be pretty ideal for a morning walk. The tide bottoms out around sunrise exposing the holes where fish backing out of the inlet lay low. Work your way around to the south and take the start of the flood head on down at the end of the bars as the fish will too.

Bait is predominately 3-6" sand eels, with some yoy herring around especially on the inside. Some big squid have been around but for the shore schlepper the sand eel is king this year.

One word to the wise about the outside beaches - don't be impatient, the fish are usually there but they won't be caught by those who do not dig deeper than the average angler, or by those who fish the area in haste. In currents, the fish are sitting in the belly of the humps and bowls and a fast strip isn't going to get it done. When they push along the beach, unless you see terns working the bait they are going to respond better to a lazy retrieve than a fast chase out there.

You need to be back by 9:30a to move the car, but that'll give you the end of the drop and you'll have plenty of flood by then on the outside to push the bait and fish in.

Worse comes to worse cross over the dune and hit the tub, the fish have been easiest to catch on the low in there because you can hit the dropoff easiest.

Personally, I'd focus on the outside. You might work all morning for one hookup but this time of year it could be a very good fish.

Don't forget Morris Island from the refuge or Harding's Beach to the inlet, both have been good recently.

Sneak north to Nauset, you never know what manner of blitz awaits over the dune on any given morning.

Truro to the Race has been on fire according to recent reports... hope it's not a "yesterday" thing as in shoulda been here.

Bayside is having a banner year as well, although something that floats would be advisable if you fish into the flood over there.

In any case, GOOD LUCK!

Jim Miller
06-23-2003, 01:41 PM
Thanks Juro!
Excellent information and much appreciated. BTW...always enjoy your posts. Maybe I'll see ya out there!:) :) :)

craig
06-23-2003, 01:42 PM
Now that is what I call a report, Well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

striblue
06-23-2003, 01:56 PM
Jim, I am beginning my two months in Chatham this weekend and will start my Morning walks on Sunday at 5 am from the light house... may see you there... i will fish the outside as I like that also... as Juro points out.

Jim Miller
06-23-2003, 03:10 PM
John
Sent you a e-mail
PM box is full.:) :) :)

striblue
06-23-2003, 03:13 PM
OK Jim.. I saw JFBasser tried to PM me also.. my box is empty now and I will check my e-mail.

juro
06-23-2003, 05:30 PM
Nothing beats recent local knowledge - John, please keep that PM box empty I will check in early and often before I come down! I will spend much of that time on cape as well but will have to drive north to take care of business and will need a up-to-the-minute report when I get back from Gaspe'.

Man with all that time I can only imagine the pile of fly tying material clippings that will build up in the CAC! ;)