Back to basics [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Back to basics

Dble Haul
06-21-2003, 04:51 PM
With all of the attention I've been giving the new boat and tying intricate flies for pike, stripers, and smallmouth, I forgot how great just the plain basics of flyfishing can be. I threw my Hobie Cat on top of the Pathfinder and went to a pond with nothing more than my 6 wt, a box of poppers, and a spool of tippet material.

These are the days that remind me of why I fell in love with the sport. I felt like a kid again all day, and can honestly say that I will never tire of an early summer day full of bass and bluegills busting poppers.

I feel refreshed. :)

willmullis
06-23-2003, 09:17 AM
I hit a local pond myself this past weekend and was hooking up with the biggest bluegills that I have caught in a very long time. I swear when they would rise for my yellow popper they just attacked it and every time I thought it was a decent sized bass with the size of the splash. It was a good time!!!

fishheadfred
06-25-2003, 10:30 PM
will & mark

had the last few days off nursing my ankle, but did manage to make a trip to my favorite pond this weekend as well. caught some nice gills, a few trout (stocked nine inchers), and one confused little channel cat that sipped up a large foam beetle in a cattail stand...gotta love the simpler things.

will, thank God, it's not raining!!!!!!! ready for that drought we discussed? I think its headin' our way, quick!!!

willmullis
06-26-2003, 08:05 PM
I don't think the rain is over yet, it's pouring rain here right now! Of course the streams really started looking good the past two days and now thunderstorms on a Thursday :confused: . Hopefully it won't last long and it will stay dry tomorrow and clear the water up by Sat/Sun.

fishheadfred
06-27-2003, 12:54 AM
rained a little here thursday nite, but nothing substainial....hoped to get out to the water sat., but just found out i have to work sat and sunday to meet production quotas for the upcoming holiday. sucks to be me:(