Fly fishing Team USA wins a medal at the World Championships!!!! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fly fishing Team USA wins a medal at the World Championships!!!!

FlyFishAR
06-21-2003, 01:39 PM
The Fly Fishing World Championships were held in Jaca Spain this year. Jeff Currier of Jackson Wyoming and manager of Jack Dennis Fly Shop has won the Individual Bronze. Team USA finished basically tied with Poland for 7th place.

Congratulations to Jeff Currier. What a terrific accomplishment and demonstration of fly fishing skill.

John W. Wilson

fredaevans
06-21-2003, 02:13 PM
how did they do?

fae

FlyFishAR
06-21-2003, 03:08 PM
Fred:

Simon was the Captain of Team England so he didn't actually compete as such. I haven't seen all the final totals posted on the event website as yet. I think England finished like 5th or 6th which wasahead of Team USA. England had 3 Simons on their team this year which added to the confusion. One of the Simons on the team basically tied Jeff for the bronze in points. The tie breaker was over all fish length and Jeff barely edged him out. We had a great time with Team England. Simon G was our DJ for the party the last night of the competition. He spun reconds and we danced and laughed till the wee hours of the night.

What a fun bunch of guys!

John

fredaevans
06-21-2003, 08:49 PM
Kan't think of a "Brit" that I didn't like from the 'get-go;' Simon heads the list. Cool Guy ... and even better yet ... the "employer."

If his 'life isn't good' God only knows why.
fae

Eddie
06-22-2003, 12:42 PM
Interesting to see that the US team is getting more competitive each year. I suspect that they are better fishermen than they are competitors.
I hope the competition craze (flyfishing for trout) doesn't catch on here.
Kind of like ski racing in Maine. The free skiing is relatively poor, so might as well race. Go Bodie Miller!

striblue
06-22-2003, 01:50 PM
That's good news... How do they run these competions... overall scoring or individual events???

FlyFishAR
06-22-2003, 02:41 PM
The events are basically scored by 5 sessions. In each session you receive points for each fish successfully caught and released. From there you receive "place points" with your group. First place receives a 1 second a 2 and so on. A blank receives the total points of the group. The reason France did so well in competition is that they had very few blanks as a team. The team and or persons with the fewest number of place points wins. I think the gold medalist had 19 place points and the bronze had 21. I had a blank which by itself was 20 points. The lake we fished in one session produced 17 blanks and 3 place points. Pretty tough fishing overall. The USA had 4 blanks on the lake and only one fish caught and landed.

John