Fly Fishing Forum banner

Hexagenia?

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  uptrout 
#1 ·
I came across a large mayfly that was light tan or creme on the bottom and dark brown on the top of the abdomen. The fly measured just over an inch long from the tip of the head to the tip of the abdomen. It had two tails that measured approximately 1 1/2". The tails were creme colored with dark stripes. The color and markings reminded me a great deal of a yellow wood duck flank feather. The wings were mostly clear, but did have some dark lines or markings throughout, however they did not have the larger and darker blotchy mottled patterns I have seen on the wings of some Brown Drakes and Isonychia.

Was this fly a hexagenia or a brown drake? Is one inch long small for a hexagenia? Do Drakes normally have three tails and hex's have two? What's the best way to tell them apart?

The fly most closely resembled this hex picture I found on the internet, but I thought hexagenias might be a little bigger than an inch long. Any input?

http://charlesmeck.com/600hexspinner.jpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.