Fly Fishing Forum banner

Early July Gl Salm/sh ?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Pat Bahan 
#1 ·
I'll be in the Northern 1/4 of the Lower peninsula of MI the first week of July. Anyone know if there are opportunities to fish salmon/steelhead then? I was thinking about the St. Mary's rapids. Not sure if there is anything in there at that time.
I'll probably be hitting trout and bass mostly, but if you know of something....
I'd appreciate it! thanks.

#2 ·
Hi Carter

I would definately recomend trying the Soo. Early July should be when the Atlantics are in the rapids. Tough fishing so I've been told I've only fished there in May and Sept, but when you hook into one it'll be worth it. When I was fishing for Steelhead there in May 2000 I witnessed a guy hook a huge fish across the channel from me he held it up and it went from his hip to the ground ( and he was average height) I spoke to him in the parking lot and said boy that was a nice steelhead and he saud that it was an Atlantic salmon I had no idea that they got so big there. I don't know about you but I'd sooner catch one salmon than ten bass.

Bill G.

Oh ya they troll for them off of the Edison power plant too.

#3 ·
Hey Bill - thanks for the info. If I make it up to the St. Mary's, I'll let you know how I did.
- I agree with you, for the most part, about the 1 salmon vs. 10 bass argument, but if those bass are all 4+ pounds, I'd say it's pretty close. I guess I'd like to do one thing one day and the other the next, or one in the morning and the other in the afternoon - it might just be possible up in Michigan, too...

#4 ·
Sault Fishing

Hi Dewey

We have our share of good quality samllmouth fishing down here in NB and I've had alot of fun catching them on poppers and streamers that I tie myself, but ofcourse thats what I fish for when the Salmon aren't biting. For some pictures of fish that I Landed this spring go to ww.manzer.net and follow the links to the fishing pics the latest pics are "Doaktown Spring 03" that is on the Miramichi River. I donot have the pics up on the site from my last trip to the Sault in Sept 2000. If you want to see them send me an email directly and I will send you some of them.
Just so you can see what kind of fishing is possible up there.

Later

Bill Gass
Oromocto, NB
william@manzer.net

#5 ·
I spent a day on the Soo this time last year with Carl Vogel, fishing for Atlantics. Saw several over twenty. Never hooked any of any size but watched others hook a couple of nice (8-12) fish. Carl knows his buisness & will give you your moneys worth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.